How many kg's of LR?

Reaction score
I'm a newbie. Receiving my equipment for my tank over the weekend. will probably start up the tank over the weekend and then put in some LR in about 3 weeks? can I do it sooner or is 3 weeks ok?

I was just wondering how many kg's of LR I need for my tank?

1600(L)X450(W)X700(H) = approximately 500litres

Then, if possible can someone please explain what exactly aquascaping is?
Will i be able to do it (as a newbie) and is this the cheaper option for buying artificial rock?
My guess is if i have to stock my tank with LR only, i will have to rob a bank.... :whistling:

welcome to MASA
aquascaping is more or less the arangement of your LR ect in a desired
fashion either for water movement or for your fish having
hiding spots ect, the cheaper option would be getting base rock and seeding them with LR

welcome to MASA
aquascaping is more or less the arangement of your LR ect in a desired
fashion either for water movement or for your fish having
hiding spots ect, the cheaper option would be getting base rock and seeding them with LR

Thanks Ocellaris, how much is base rock? do i get that at the LFS. And what does seeding mean?

yes base rock can be bought at your LFS or you get the guys that DIY base rock and sell them, it depends where you buy it from as you can pick it up for like R30 /R35 kg
seeding is basicly the colonization of the benificial bactrria that spreads from your LR
onto your base rock thus making the base rock LR

seeding merely consists of puting your LR into the same tank as your base rock and the bacteria spreads accross them :) sorry about the previous spelling ;)

seeding merely consists of puting your LR into the same tank as your base rock and the bacteria spreads accross them :) sorry about the previous spelling ;)

thanks, i've heard the word lawa rock being mentioned at the LFS? Is that like base rock is that also something different?

lawa rock ? i havent heard of this buddy but they would speak of dead rock, base rock ,bio rock, they all fall in the same catagory

Different and not good for Marines

ok, i've read about the white cement and salt mix with aragonite? Is that a way of creating rock?
Can my husband to this? (he's the DIY one)

ok, i've read about the white cement and salt mix with aragonite? Is that a way of creating rock?
Can my husband to this? (he's the DIY one)

yes its a way of creating rock that you can use later to seed, sure if your hubby is the DIY guy then by all means but make sure it is cured well so as not
to harm the livestocks laer on :)

Great thing about making your own rock, is the shapes you can create. Seen some wicked reef structures :)

Just answer your original question you want 1kg per 2 gallons (10lts) of tank water, so you would need 50kg.

yes its a way of creating rock that you can use later to seed, sure if your hubby is the DIY guy then by all means but make sure it is cured well so as not
to harm the livestocks laer on :)

How do I cure the rock? I don't have anything in my tank yet. Going to start setting up this weekend!

Have a look in this thread, it has some info on DIY rock
Help with artificial rock - General Discussions

I would say however, that the live rock you buy will be the heart and lungs of your tank, it is well worth spending the money on good quality live rock, it could be the difference between success or disaster.

make your structure, allow it to dry for about 24hours , then rinse off the loose sand well and stick it in a bucket/container submersing it fully in tap water for about a month or so until the measured PH is stabilized

Back
Top Bottom