How Many Hermits for a 120lt tank

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by clown, 18 Jun 2009.

1. clown

clown

Hi -

I have a 120lt tank with live rock and 2 fiji Chromis.
    I would like to add dwarf hermit crab's in the tank at end of the month.

I would like to get the dwarf Red and Blue legged Hermit crabs.

How many of each do I add to my tank ?? - (Please keep in mind I want to add over time ,clearner shrimps,turbo snail, and blue cheeck gobie).

Please advise.

Thank you
    Clown

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Manic

Manic Moderator

According to some web sites they say 1 for every 1-2 gallons. So that would be about 17 - 30 for your tank. Imo that is a bit much. I've got 4 blue dwarf zebra hermits and 2 red legged hermits in my 130L tank and it isn't that much. I wouldn't add more though because mine just like to move my corals around which irritates me.

Also don't give them shells that are to big. I gave my one hermit a big shell and he couldn't even move around for like a week but now ( about 4 weeks later) he is huge. He started out as a dwarf hermit but now he is a monster hermit who likes picking up my corals and throwing them face down into the substrate.:cursing:

4. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

I've also got a 120 litre tank, with 9 hermits in, I would think something between 6 and 9 would be fine, any more than that and food may become a bit scarce for them.

5. Prodigy

Prodigy

Very true it has started happen in my tank that there is not enough left over food for the hermits and they start dying and even fight for left overs!!!!so i have had to take some out...

6. trad

trad Fish, thats the word!

4-9 or as many as you can keep track of

7. clown

clown Thread Starter

Hi,

I'm Going To Add About 3 Red And 3 Blue Legged Dwarf Hermits In My Tank.
    I Good A Good Growth Af Hair And Brown Algae For Them To Eat.
    Is There Any Thing Else That I Can Feed Them?

Is Hermits Hardy Or Moderate??

How Many Turbo Snails Can I Also Put In A 120lt Tank?

Im Asking All This Questions So That I Dont Overload My Bioload.

Clown

8. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Clown - hermits and snails do not really add much load to the "bio-load"....

Just keep in mind that hermits MIGHT kill the snails....

I collect my hermits from all over the coast..... when the water gets warm there are thousands of hermits crabs (all dwarf hermits) all over the rock pools, at Hermanus, MosselBay, and even in the Langebaan Lagoon....

Hermits also end up killing each other, quite often - as they fight to steal each other's "shells".....

Except for this, hermit crabs are quite hardy......

9. clown

clown Thread Starter

Thank you Jacques.

If I put empty shells of diffrent sizes in the tank will that help the hermits to kill each other and the Snails?

If I put in turbo snails in that is twice there size in the tank will this some how help them not to kill the snails.

I was thinking off adding 2 turbo snails in the tank with 6 dwarf hermits in the 120lt tank.

Please advise me.

Clown

10. Midasblenny

Midasblenny

Hermits are being phased out as CUC IMO.
    Reasons being is they are rather destructive to other CUC, some grow too quick and too big, they dont eat what we want them too ie. rarely go for algaes but more our prized microlife within sand beds, they fight amongst themselves, killing each other basically, potentially they can knock over frags or small corals etc etc. Rather go for snails or cushion stars as CUC.

11. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Yes - it could possibly, Clown. Hermits "try on" different shells constantly..... The chances that they will kill the snails would be reduced tremendously, if you DO supply shells.... BUT, as long as the shells are not TOO big, else the hermit crab will "grow into" this bigger shell - meaning that the hermit will also become bigger itself.....

Putting in bigger snails - yes - this too would reduce the chances (not completely eliminate - but greatly reduce) of the hermits killing the snails...

12. martin

martin Reef Adict

It all depends on your tank and the condition thereof, hermits and even snails are expensive so you wouldn't want them to starve, I go by 1 snail 1 hermit per 20-30ltrs - this again depends on type of snail/hermit - - decisions decisions.

13. clown

clown Thread Starter

cleaning crue

Hi Martin,

Do you have hermits and turbo snails together?
    do you have problems of hermits killing you're snails or each otther.

I Have a lot of hair algae in my tank on the Live rock. For now I brush my live rock to control it and the fiji Chromis now and then is nipping on it.

If I want to get hermits and leave the snails , what other algae eater can i get to clean the brown algae on the class and on the back of the tank??

I like the hermits and I like that they eat hair algae and waist in the tank.

please advise.

Clown

14. Manic

Manic Moderator

Thats what they say but my hermits (All 6 of them) just eat left over food and throw my corals around. Rather get a snail, I had an algae eater snail, think it called an astrea snail, that ate hair algae all day. Untill one day he vanished and out came my hermit with this huge shell.

15. martin

martin Reef Adict

I find if there is a good balance of food and grazing then the snails are safe-ish, also have a good excess amount of shells available for the hermits.

16. clown

clown Thread Starter

Hi Manic and Martin,

Many thanks for the advise.

I will look for Arstea Snails. - how big do they get??

I have a lot of shels that is diffrent sizes.
    I will try the snails first then I will add only 2 red dwarf hermit crab and see how it works out.

My tank have a lot of algae wich I alow to grow on the back of the tank and there is hair algae on the live rock.

Regards
    Clown

Recent Posts