How many fish?

Reaction score
Before I ask, let me just say thank to all you "veterans" who are willing to answer all us "greenies'" elementary questions over and over again (especially mine)!

On a system measuring 200x70x70 - whats the limit on fish to keep safely? I want to avoid the "too many" hazard.

All depends on what you want to keep. For instance do you want tangs or angels it'll be les fish per gallon then say a tank full of anthias. If your husbandry isn't up to spec then even less. No real right or wrong answer. Filtration also plays a vital role in the amount of fish you can keep.

Depends more also on the compatibility between the different fish you plan to keep. On that size tank 4 tangs would easily be happy, especially as juvenile. But it does depend also on the species of tang. A Yellow, Scopa, Purple and Sailfin will fight. They are all in the same family. But a Yellow, Blond Naso, Regal and Chocolate will go along.

All depends on what you want to keep.

Ok, I'm going cold water Western Cape - mainly bottom feeders - the ones you usually find together between the kelp and on the reefs. For arguments sake let's they all get along - whats the maximum quantity thats responsible for a tank like this?

still can't say. What is their size?

Anyway, you build up your stocklist slowly. You will be able to see when competition between them starts to so.

Riaan, pardon my absolute ignorance, but how do you see when competition shows? Are there not other factors also that determine a limit on the amount of fish?

I think you could easily do 20 to 30 fish in that sized tank.

Thanks for the article! If I go by the general rule of 2.54cm of fish per 18 liters, then it amounts to 18 fish of approx 7.5cm each. That is a great indication. I can work with that.

but how do you see when competition shows?
They start to fight. Chase each other. Torn fins. Cuts on the sides if you got tangs and angels.

Keep in mind how big your fish will grow. There are at times small little 50c size Regals tangs available. They do grow fast. They do not belong in a nano tank at all.

Back
Top Bottom