How many fish is reasonable

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by PeterL, 23 Apr 2010.

1. PeterL

PeterL

How does one determine how many fish is a reasonable quantity without overcrowding? I am busy thinking about what I am going to be looking at keeping as far as fish stocks are concerned and I am not certain based on the compatibility and quantity acceptable in a reef tank.

I have been giving thought to the following:
    Threadfin Butterfly
    Triggerfish (possibly Blueface Trigger or Clown Trigger)
    Regal Tang
    Mandarin
    Porcupine Fish or boxfish

I currently have a Lime Green Wrasse, a Maroon Clown, a Blue Damsel and 2 Green Chromis + Fire Red Shrimp & Skunk Cleaner Shrimp. Personally I would like to take the Chromis out for something more colourful and different, and also potentially taking out the Blue Damsel too - he never has been my favorite fish although he is bright blue and isn't troublesome.

This is where I need help from the people who could educate me better, I have a 4ft tank which has a veriety of Zoanthids, soft Pollyps, Brain Coral, Candy Cane Coral, Torch Coral, Kenya Tree and a small veriety of mushrooms.

Of the very basic choice of fish I have put on my "review list", what is actually compatible in my tank and of them, which will get along OK together as well as not destroy the existing life within my reef system? I don't mind if they pick at algae and such like, but consuming my Zoe's and Pollyps will not make me a happy reefer...Looking at the list above would offer an idea of the variation and style of fish I am interested in keeping - it is based on colour and unusual/exotic appearance.

Please can I get some advice and help, it may however be a few months before I start buying these fish -or at least looking around for them, but I need some time to do some proper investigation (only possible with MASA help) and maybe allow for more/better coverage of my Zoanthids and Pollyps over the rockwork whilst decisions are pending.

Last edited: 23 Apr 2010
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tremayn

Tremayn

to my knowledge triggers are quite aggressive fish... they act like they'll have a go at anything! :nono:

4. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

Cool, so scratch the triggers, I think they may actually be too big anyhow - they were on the bottom of my maybe list in either event...

5. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Look at the Midas blenny. Ferry wrasse, flame angel, coral beauty, Fiji flame hawk, long nose hawk, one of the false grammars, Bangui cardinals, salarius, firefish etc.

6. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

I like your choices - very neat fish species.
    Not massively expensive fish (which suits me even better) yet are at the same time different

Any considerations out there to potentially trade with my 2 Chromis and maybe the Blue Damsel (damsel a bit reluctant right away, but will consider if the trade is as neat looking)?

7. seank

seank

Rule of thumb- 22lt of water per inch per fish

Recent Posts