How many Dwarf Angels in tank

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by ted.vanh, 16 Dec 2008.

1. ted.vanh

ted.vanh

Hi Guys,

I think that Dwarf Angels are amongst the most beautiful fish in a reef tank. My question is how many of these fish could I keep comfortably in my 325 Litre (1500 x 480 x 480) tank. At present I have a small Coral Beauty and am interested in adding 2 or 3 more out of the following list:-

Eibl's
    Flame
    Lemonpeel
    Rusty.

I previously had 3, a Coral Beauty, Flame and Bicolour but lost all 3 when I dosed my tank with contaminated Bicarb.

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Ted - the thing with pygmy angels is: you should get the correct combination of them, that they:
    - don't fight
    - don't eat the corals
    - don't get sick because of stress
    I would say, if you have a maximum of 4, then you should be "fully stocked". Unless you can get yourself a skimmer rated for 3000 litres - then you can go up to 8 ;)

4. ted.vanh

ted.vanh Thread Starter

Hi Jaques,

What combination would you recommend.
    I have a Reefoctopus TS2 skimmer.

5. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

TS2 is good - especially for a +-325 litre tank!

I would suggest the following:
    - potters angel
    - lemonpeel angel
    - Flame angel (expensive - but worth it)
    - bi-color angel

6. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

jacques i hope you were joking on the number 8 cos i dont think there is enough space in that tank for 8 Let alone 4. Ted u could put them in and i really wanted to add multiple angels in my tank as well but at 1800*450*450 i would have aggression issues and not enough swimming space. What i do know is that if you want to do it you would need to add them all in at the same time so that you dont have territorial issues. But i may be wrong.

7. scubaninja

scubaninja

but if you add them in at more or less the same time the territory issues should be lessened. or when you put the last one in you can do a new scape of the rocks to sort it out. mekaeel has quite a few dwarf angels in his tank, check with him for actual numbers, so 8 can be done. but he has a beast of a skimmer so go figure. the thing you need to worry about is territory. so choose wisely

8. ted.vanh

ted.vanh Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice - I will keep a max of 4 in my tank.
    I already have a Coral Beauty and am interested in adding out of the 4 I listed in the first post.

Thanks Scuba I wil check with Mekaeel.

9. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

Mekaeels tank is huge and he does lotsa water changes often. This tank is tiny compared to his(no offence ted). Its not just about keeping the water clean but also providing the animal enough place for it to comfortable live esp considering that we taking it out of the OCEAN to live in a glass box for our pleasure.

10. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

PS i am taking about when the fish get to adult sizes and not small juveniles:thumbup:

11. scubaninja

scubaninja

no he doesn't do a lot of changes:) he's lazy:) i've just looked back on your size and your tank is smaller than mek's. by about half. but its long. so it does provide lots of hiding space. so you could possibly go with a large number. but it would be better to have less is the end of the story. so four is ok. i picked out a lot of fish on my list of what i thought looked pretty. have a look and google them

12. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Hey Ted. should you want to add alot of Dwarf Angels, ensure that you have enough LR with caves and crevices for them to play and hide in, otherwise they will/might end up beating each other to death.

In terms of skimmer size, it doesnt really matter, your TS2 should be fine. Angels prefer to be fed alot, if you can export the nutrients via heavy skimming and regular water changes, they will do well.
    The list of Angels you have chosen will do well together. But as I said, lots of caves and crevices.

13. Mekaeel

Correct, I do not do lots of water changes. Reason being, my water parameters are almost perfect with the mechanical, biological and chemical filteration.

14. ted.vanh

ted.vanh Thread Starter

Thanks Mekaeel. I really appreciate all the advice I get from you guys.
    I have a lot of LR with crevices and caves and also do +/- 15% water change every week.

15. Mekaeel

Then you are sorted out my friend ;)

16. scubaninja

scubaninja

mek you are a legend buddy:thumbup:

17. Mekaeel

Trying to get there :lol:

18. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

i have kept the following

1 x flame angel
    1 x coral beauty
    1 x jumping bean
    1 x bicolor
    1 x black bean
    1 x potterii angel.

all in a 1.2m x .600 x .500 (approx 450lt with sump)

the secret to this is the aquascaping and abundance of caves and crevices.. there was minor quibbling but my bicolor was the oldest (10 years) and was the most dominant..

i dont say go as drimatic as that but it was done and successfully.... angels and tangs are my 2 favourites...:lol:

19. Falcon

Falcon

ted from my past experience with my dum coral beauty killing a dam expensive flame i can only tell you this...

1.make sure that your newer angels are bigger and healthier than the coral beauty(let them acclimatise for a week in your sump to water conditions before throwing them to the lions)

2.try adding all three new ones at once so that none gets picked on by your now already dominant coral beauty.

3.if you cant do the above then sump the coral beauty for a week and only add him after the smaller angels are settled.

i had a rusty that was aggressive and very dominant for the last year and now i added a bi color which is bigger so absolutely no aggression was shown to the new big bi color.

your main problem is that RIGHT NOW YOUR CORAL BEAUTY HAS BECOME DOMINANT!(IF YOU CAN SORT THIS LITTLE NIGGLE OUT THEN ITS EASY TO MIX DWARF ANGELS):thumbup:

Last edited: 17 Dec 2008
  20. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

Hmm i learnt something new:thumbup:

21. crispin

crispin

i managed with various dwarfs in my tank at different times, but the stable 4 i had were the heralddis angle, rusty angle (my fav), jumping bean and and unidentified black fella. Ok i did look his name up once but i cant rember it:)

i never had terrotory issues between them, sometimes my yellow eyed kole tank would hammer and new dwarf angle, but then sump siding him for a few months and reitroducing it worked well. But then I have a 1.8m with a fair amount of LR (100kg or so), although my aquascaping is deseinged more around available swimming space than it is to hide in.

i would say you should be fine with 4.

Just feed them well. they like to eat and if go hungry are quite happy with sps pollops....your choice:)

also if you dont have spare power back up, get it BEFORE you get the dwarfs. I didnt and when i had last outage i lost all my dwarfs together at once, they battled more than the tangs, which i managed to save, or any of the other fish. Just a heads up:)

Recent Posts