how many coral banded shrimp together?

Discussion in 'Invertebrates' started by danimal, 14 May 2010.

  1. danimal

    danimal

    Joined:
    21 Jul 2009
    Posts:
    1,605
    Likes Received:
    4
    Location:
    Durban
    Hey guys

    Ive got two adult coral bandeds together with my cleaner in my 1m tank, who generally play nice together. However I've also got a baby coral banded that someone gave me, being really small he has stayed far away from the adults and they've given him no hassles. now he's starting to get quite big (sheesh they grow fast!) and id like to avert a problem before one arises. do you think they will fight?

    cheers
    dan
     
  2. AdS Guest




    to hide all adverts.
  3. Afsal

    Afsal

    Joined:
    7 May 2007
    Posts:
    2,317
    Likes Received:
    22
    Location:
    Dbn,Kzn
    chances r they will as the general rule is a mated pair or an individual per tank (tank size , im not sure of)
     
  4. Neil H

    Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

    Joined:
    11 May 2008
    Posts:
    2,795
    Likes Received:
    56
    Location:
    JHB

    Agreed, sell him or give him away, i think they will fight
     
  5. leslie hempel

    leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

    Joined:
    7 May 2007
    Posts:
    14,541
    Likes Received:
    285
    Location:
    Gonubie East London
    I have only ever witnessed single individuals or mated pairs in the wild and the same kept succesfully in tanks. Keeping unmated pairs or more together will arise in death of one or both due to the fatigue and damage sustained from fighting.
     
  6. danimal

    danimal Thread Starter

    Joined:
    21 Jul 2009
    Posts:
    1,605
    Likes Received:
    4
    Location:
    Durban
    cool thanks guys. i will give the baby away
     
  7. magman

    magman

    Joined:
    31 Jul 2009
    Posts:
    2,144
    Likes Received:
    21
    Location:
    Richards Bay
    They supposed to fight, I have mixed plenty and have actually not seen any of them fight. Leave them I would say, if the tank is big enough though.
     
  8. danimal

    danimal Thread Starter

    Joined:
    21 Jul 2009
    Posts:
    1,605
    Likes Received:
    4
    Location:
    Durban
    tank is 1m. havent seen any inertaction at all between them...
     
  9. MistaOrange

    MistaOrange

    Joined:
    20 Jan 2010
    Posts:
    7,756
    Likes Received:
    94
    Location:
    Somewhere in Cape Town
    80% of the time if 2 coral band shrimp are in 1 tank either 1 will look for the other one & they fight even to death & the other 20% some get lucky & they live in peace. From my experience keep 1 in 1 tank to be safe. Sump the other one.
     
  10. magman

    magman

    Joined:
    31 Jul 2009
    Posts:
    2,144
    Likes Received:
    21
    Location:
    Richards Bay
    give them names, place bets and gooi the popcorn in the microwave.

    Guess its 50-50, I think sex has to do with it also.
     
Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - many coral banded Forum Date
Massive Live Rock Sale - Fully Cured and many bits of corals around Sponsor Specials 11 Apr 2015
how many creatures and corals Beginner Discussions 22 Feb 2011
My many mouthed tooth coral LPS Corals 19 Jul 2009
Anemone split. Into how many? Anemone's 13 Jul 2016
DIY to many headaches General Discussions and Advice 9 May 2016
How many fish? Beginner Discussions 3 Feb 2016
How many wave makers? Beginner Discussions 2 Nov 2015