How many Bangaii Cardinals?

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by Broder, 14 Aug 2009.

1. Broder

Broder Mudshark

I've just bought 3 Bangaii Cardinals. One has been attacking another to the point that it is nearly dead. I've separated them now and hope that it recovers, but would love to know what the hell happened here??? I thought that they were totally peacefull, docile fish?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

Broder you shouldnt have more than 2 in your tank, from what I have read the 2 will pair up and then attack the unpaired member...this has obviously happened in your tank.

4. Raven

Raven

Strange - I had 3 cardinals in my tank before.
    They were all piece full (had them for just over a year).
    I now only have one left. :(

5. Broder

Broder Thread Starter Mudshark

I've read conflicting advice. Some say as many as you want, some say that you can't have 2 males. So how do you tell which one is male?

6. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

I think for them to say don't have 2 males is a general statement, as any fish you read up on will say don't keep 2 males. As for which one is the male some have said the males top dorsal fin is longer or their mouths are a bit more pretruded (obviously for keeping the fry safe) but then there are those that say that you can't really tell them apart. IMO the two that are fighting of yours are more likely the males.

Good luck. Are you going to be taking one back? Maybe put one in the kitchen tank and the other 2 in your main tank?

7. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

i also thought that you could have as many as you want ?

8. crispin

crispin

i always thought that having ANY was too many!

but that does sound like a male on male territory issue from what I have read. Best to keep them paired if you can

9. Broder

I really like them. They provide a lovely contrast to the bright lively fish that we are used to. It's a bit like moving from a beautiful warm country to a cold dark one..... strong contrast.:whistling:

10. crispin

crispin

contrasts are good, especially when norway is rated as one of the worlds most beautiful countries :) lol at cold dark country, when my biggest concen through an evening is getting the black out blind to block the excess of light flooding my bedroom! :) granted thats gonna change for the worse soon enough :(

but if you like cardinals so much why not just go back to ugly bath water fishes:)

11. Warr7207

Warr7207

Are you sure it wasn't a male with eggs ? They apparently get highly upset when looking after the new-borns.

I reckon I would too, if I had a couple of hundred babies in my mouth :whistling:

12. Broder

No eggs to be seen. I started with 2, of which 1 got nailed. Then added another 2 to the remaining one. He then nailed one of the new ones but remained at peace with the last one.... presumably a female. Tough dating in the cardinal clan:p

13. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Interresting this. My LFS has a big 1.8 meter (maybe even 2.5meter) tank and they keep about 15 Cardinals in there easy. No issues. Two VERY interesting things happens though:

The LFS displays the different lighting in the aquarium on this tank. So the one side always has actinics on, and the other always has low kalvin lights on, with an arch running across the middle.

The two interesting behaviors are:

There is ALWAY one Cardinal under the arch in the shadows - the same cardinal every time by the looks of it.

The other school of them only stays in the actinic part of the tank. THEY NEVER MOVE INTO THE LIGHT!!!! Maybe they too see dead people? :lol:

Anyway, I know that these cardinals like darker spots in the tank, and what i have seen from them, is if the school is big, larger than 5, they do not fight. Not 100% sure of this fact though, as I have not kept them myself...

14. Broder

Jaco, I've also heard that you can keep as many as you want together, that's why I don't know what went wrong here.

15. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

Reading Jaco's post and everything else read it still seems to be that if there is an uneven number the one not paired up is going to be an outcast. I still say try get one more and see if they pair up and if it solves the issue. If it does or doesnt it would make for a nice case study :whistling:

16. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Oh on cardinals are very territorial. Put a bunch in your tank and they will pare off till the odd one is relegated to the behind the return pipe seat. The other pairs seem to tolerate each other however and will even breed in a finger leathers, polyp colony, algae bush or anemone if a clown is not near by.

Just like anemone fish, once they start laying eggs they don't stop. Enjoy the pair you have. They will breed soon "DAD" to be.:whistling:

17. trad

trad Fish, thats the word!

imo 1 or 2 max

18. Broder

These are the 2 that have survived the battle for supremacy.
    [​IMG]

19. Raven

Raven

hheeehaaaaa!!!!
    I've found one of the other cardinals (thought he was dead for a couple of months!)
    I've found him last night in my sump....
    It's the second time that he decided to snoop around in the sump area!
    I've looked for him before in the sump, but he must have being a champion in hide and seek!
    (Sorry - I know that this is not really relevant to this post, but just had to share this:thumbup:)

20. Broder

Nice feeling that. Project for Raven this weekend: make grid for overflow wier!

21. mnd123

mnd123

Why so anti cardinals O Cold Norwegian Viking?

Recent Posts