How long will mixed saltwater be ok for use

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Fraser W, 21 May 2013.

1. Fraser W

Fraser W Swazi Reefer

Hi

i just wanted to find out from some more people who might be a bit more knowledgeable on the topic. If i mixed some saltwater and maybe have like 40 litres or so left over. How long will i be able keep this water in a sealed drum(so no dust or bugs can fall in) for does it have some sort of expirery date once mixed

thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

You would need to keep it in the dark so no algae grows etc
    I have kept water for 2-3weeks, just test temp, salinity and ammonia before using or treat with seachem safe or prime

4. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Interesting subject.

Properly mixed salt water with RO then sealed should not attract algae. After all the algae needs PO4 and NO3 and light..... Or has the plastic from the container got something to do with the feeding of some bacteria or yeast :biggrin:

Should the water then be stored in a glass container? Reason I ask is because the water bottles we got when i was in the SA arms force were aluminium. This kept out bacteria and algae.

So IMO mixed water has an indefinite life and will not expire. One just needs to keep the contaminants out. Seal the container.

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

You really gave your age away. Mine were plastic. :tt2:

Only issue would be salinity, due to water evaporation. I got a small little powerhead in my mixing drum.

I always have about 40L (at worst minimum 20L) on storage.

6. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

I think it also depends a lot on the quality / type of salt you use to mix with.
    I have been able to keep one type of salt mix for about a month without any changes / negative effects & another type started precipitating calcareous sediment on the container sides after a couple days (both were high quality salts & kept in the same manner with a strong powerhead & heater).
    The effect of the precipitations was that the alkalinity & calcium levels were almost non existent afterwards & i had to discard the mixture. I have since then been using red sea coral pro salt with great results & i am able to store the mixed water for a full week before i use it without any ill effects.

With regards to the biological / nutritional parameters... If your RO water truly has 0 TDS & your container is clean & not leaching anything, then you should theoretically be able to store the water indefinitely as it is suppose to be completely sterile.(As long as you keep it well aerated & continuously stirred...)

7. mandarinman

mandarinman

no expiry date if sealed and kept in the dark.

8. riyadh

riyadh

very interesting!! a few months back I stored some salt water. When I opened one drum, the was a small brown growth in it. Needless to say, I havent stored mixed water again

9. mandarinman

mandarinman

in dark?

10. riyadh

riyadh

yebo, in the dark, in a white bucket. Hmmm, that could have been the problem, maybe should use balck ones instead

11. mandarinman

mandarinman

i wouldnt worry about the growth. it shows the water is not poisonous at least!

12. the fish

the fish

have used mine for weeks apart from when i first mixed it with no side affects. no pumps nothing

13. Strandlooper

Strandlooper

So is this the best for water changes, a ready made salt bought and mixed with RO water? What about someone who changes your water monthly with water from the sea taken out of an area without any kind of effluence?

14. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

natural sea water is full of bacteria. Mostly beneficial but they would die off in a drum where temperature does drop or there is not enough flow. The bacteria needs to be kept alive. Natural sea water needs to be used as quickly as possible. Do not store it for next weekend.

Recent Posts