How long will camping battery last?

Discussion in 'Power cuts' started by Dane, 23 May 2010.

1. Dane

Dane

Hey guys,

Got a very nice letter in the post telling me that they're cutting the power the whole of monday.... :( just wanted to know how long i can run my system off a deep cycle camping type battery. I actually have 4 fishtanks in my room... :p Needless to say marine gets preference...

I have 2x50w heaters, and 2x 150w. Then I have two tiny little mini internal powerhead filters, and two larger (not much) internal powerheads...

Should I just run all the powerheads? Do you think it'll last long with 4x powerheads and one heater? I know the heaters draw the most power... Will it be okay without heating for a day? Does anyone "insulate" their tanks during cuts? How?

I must also mention something embarassing.... I have been writing a 72hr exam this past week. So got absolutely no sleep two days in a row. The one morning before I went in i turned the powerhead off so I can look down into the tank to see where one of my mushrooms had walked off too, and somehow in my sleepiness forgot to turn it back on.... This is the only source of airation for the tank! I was gone THE WHOLE DAY! from 7am - 7pm. Came home in absolute shock and terror to find the filter off.... But ALL my livestock was fine!!! All corals fully open, fish weren't "panting" or anything... Was so unbeleivably happy and fortunate... Does this mean my tank has a low oxygen demand? Its not a very large volume of water... :p

As always, thanks in advance for the advice,
    D

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. seank

seank

What is this looooong exams you are writing, as my friend also said she was studying for a 72 hour exam??

Eish, the good old days when exams was 3 hours long

4. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

5. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

I normally keep my heaters off or even take them out during the summer months but it's too cold now & depends on your room temperature. How long did they say the power will be off? I would just have the main pump running on it's own until the power comes back on. But let's see what the others think. Good Luck

6. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

How do you plan on running most of the stuff when they are 220v and the battery 12v?

7. Dane

Dane Thread Starter

an inverter... :p

8. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Well, you need to devide the amps of all the equipment you planning on running into the amps that the battery gives. Example if it's a 104 amp/hour battery and the pump is 3 amps, then it should roughly give you 34,5 hours if the battery is still in good nick and fully charged.

Dane likes this.
  9. Dane

Dane Thread Starter

Perfect! Thanks much tobes!

Recent Posts