How long to store salt water

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by PeterL, 21 Apr 2010.

1. PeterL

PeterL

I have heard some really random ideas/opinions, but I need confirmation.

Is there a limit to how long you can keep salt water in a container? Does it go "off" and also with RO water.

ie. Could one have say 2 x 25L containers, one with plain RO and the other with salt mix or would the water become un-usable?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. colbar

colbar

Tagging along.

4. mandarinman

mandarinman

salt water mix doesnt rot or go off ,

5. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

Thanks, why I asked is that I was told to rather keep RO as it "keeps forever" whereas salt water rots after as little as 24hrs without a circulation pump in it...my original "advice" came from one of the LFS's who we all complain about just selling to make money and give crud advice...

Had I joined MASA before spending a cent with them I would be far better off than I am now...

How about we make a plan an an entirety and get a MASA pamphlet of some kind going on and spread them as far as the eye can see and hopefully prevent many of the really stupid errors which are just because people listen to and follow the advice from a LFS simply because they don't know what is right or wrong. If everyone put in a small contribution toward it then it is for the bigger cause and wouldn't cost one individual/company high in financials, unless the sponsors specifically want to do it??? Maybe the "senior" guys in MASA (mods etc.) may think I am stepping over the line of the site and it's rules - if so, please advise accordingly. Appolgies in advance if I have, not my intension, I just want to try make reefing as good as possible for all and more so for the new guys coming along who don't know any better to start with.

6. Sammy

Sammy

I agree with u dude, when I started out 2 years ago, I was advised to mix TAP water with salt water??? Only after discovering masa a few weeks later needless to say I started my cycle over with RO

For that advice they should be named and shamed.

7. Sammy

Sammy

I agree with u dude, when I started out 2 years ago, I was advised to mix TAP water with salt water??? Only after discovering masa a few weeks later needless to say I started my cycle over with RO

For that advice they should be named and shamed.

8. FransSny

FransSny

I was also told salt water goes off....synthetic doesnt (NSW will have die off if no circulation is provided), just store it in a dark place

9. robertkukla

robertkukla

i agree

10. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

RO water cannot be kept for long periods of time. It quickly attracts contaminants from the air. It will also grow algae if the kept in a transparent container.

Sea water (not NSW) must also be kept in a sealed container. It will not go off but must be agitated/aerated before use.

11. mandarinman

mandarinman

agree with nemo re ro being stored in in sealed containers

12. Greenreef

Greenreef

What if you keep it in a sealed 25L drum covered with a black plastic? Surley it should be fine as there are no organics in it.

13. Garethmur

Garethmur

Do it, and let us know your results... :)

14. robertkukla

robertkukla

so it wouldnt be advisable to keep 50lt of RO if you only use 10lt a weekit will get contaminated , or can you put somthing in it to keep it moving , like a power head or somthing?

15. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

This isn't sinking in properly for me - I don't fully understand, I need more info maybe or just better clarity...

if keeping the water for extended periods isn't such a good idea (is this assumed as like a month or so or a few days?), how does one store RO in the situation of auto top-up facilities on the tank? That is how this started is with thinking about the auto top-up and also water changes, what is wrong with my buying a "month supply" or both RO and mixed salt which will do my auto top up's and also have the volumes for WC - or should I rather be getting the RO and mixing my own salt?

16. chikaboo

chikaboo

Getting R/O from the stores is going to cost you an arm and a leg in the long run ... Ideally you need to invest in a R/O unit ... kinda like the under counter water purifying gadgets for homes but one specific for marines ... Then you can have R/O readily available for top-ups and salt mixes for water changes...

17. colbar

colbar

Perhaps if all the members of MASA chipped in and we collected enough money, we could have pamphlets printed and ask the LFS if they would either display them on a window or perhaps have them on the counter, so newbies would know that there is
    help available to them.

18. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

my problem for now is financial constraints, I can afford the water but not the RO unit, I would love to get one but it has to wait until circumstances change - engineering world still feeling the recession pretty hard. So I have to make do with the little I can and at less than R100 per WC and less than R20 for 20L RO, it is hard to fork out the money for an RO until when kids winter uniforms for school are top priority ;)

We aren't starving, we paying the bills and eat well, just isn't any spare cash for things like and RO and auto top-up and the rest of the "nice to have items, I got to do it mannually.

Until the point of going auto route, I need to know I am putting safe water into my tank.

19. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

This is exactly what I was driving at earlier Colbar...I thought long and hard about it and as someone said to me some time ago in MASA, you can take a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. At the same time, he wont know to go to the water on his own if he doesn't know it exists.

20. chikaboo

chikaboo

Cool idea but then how would some "unscrupolous" LFS make money from unsuspecting reefers coming back to buy more and more stuff to try and get "everything right" ... Not saying all LFS are like that but the ones that are will not have MASA stealing their bread and butter stolen from then when they can be making $$$$$$$

21. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

it is debatable I think, if I could take the info from MASA and go to my LFS and buy what I need instead of them comvincing me otherwise instead of driving 60km like I do now to get quality product, I would. I go to a LFS about 10km from me to see his stock and to get just what I need and get out, he is not helpful at all because he has this "I will only help you if you do it my way, if you want to follow all those people on the forums than you are on our own..." - that is exactly what he told me.

So now I get stuck, I get info from the people in the know on MASA and off I go to the LFS with a product in mind, I don't know that you get two different ones of the one product and now I dont know which to buy - so I ask what the differernce is and I get a dirty look because I am doing things correctly - by MASA memebers guidance - and not his way.

So I vote with my feet, now I drive 60km from Boksburg to pretoria to get the right product to suit my requirements by a MASA member. I drove over 130km round trip yesterday to buy a torch coral because I can trust MASA's mambers, one simply can't trust just any LFS. I would have no problem closing the reef dept. of most LFS's if I had that choice because how many marine creatures are living a life of hell simply because the owners are ill advised, IMO - I am all for MASA having the upper hand because for the good of living marine things. This forum isn't the be all and end all of marine life, it is just one honest and devoted members who care enough to want to get it right for complete strangers in a community where we all want the same thing - a marine tank bursting full of life...not with one perishing from ignorance

Recent Posts