How long to QT a fish

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by magman, 26 Oct 2010.

1. magman

magman

A few month's ago I used to think that QT tanks were only for the paranoid, as I thought that they only stress the fish, rather let it settle in the DT with all the LR etc, I now know that all us reefers learn the hard way!!!

I set up a tank in the garage, with my old equipment, a four foot etc, skimmer, lr, sand from the DT, it's basically a second tank. I do have another 3 foot tank that I can use if any fish need medication, but at least I can moniter the fish easier and when they fat and healthy, and learnt the feeding regime, they can go in the DT. Also they at least will be easier to get out should they need treatment.

How long though should they be in their until you know they safe from any disease or parasites. I think they will take a bit longer to feed and pick up the regime, but would a month be safe, just so I can take them out before any new fish come in, provided I am happy they eating well. I did think of a few goldies in there also to help non eaters to settle in and to learn the regime, or to settle down.

i am more worried about the quick two days wipeout disease's, velvet brooke etc.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

I normally recommend 4 to 6 weeks for healthy fish. But if an issue is treated, at least 3 weeks after the last sign of disease.

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Certain fish, like Copperbands and Mandarins is VERY difficult to quarantine. Need a complete setup with rock etc. But in that is the problem. The white spot "eggs" will attach to the substrate and liverock in its incubation time. So that is why the fish looks happy and clear of WS. But in meantime you have hundreds of the parasites ready to hatch. So you need to be able to clean the floor easily. Including live rock.

But then again a empty tank will stress the fish out even more. So using plastic ice cream tub upside down with entrance doorways cut out to create a cave and short pieces of PVC helps.

My next fish is a Copperband. And yes it will go into a "quarantine" tank. More a training system. Where I could teach him to take food from a syringe. Hopefully onto some flakes. Will move LR over from display to keep him in a area that at least looks kind of natural.

IMO, a Copperband is difficult. It either dies within the first 2 weeks or it last until all your aptasia is gone. It eats to slow if you have other more aggresive eaters like Tangs in your tank. If in the tank, you will not get him used to eat frozen food or flakes. He is just too slow and by the time he decided that he can eat the thing floating by, some other fish already ate it.

I'm busy setting up a 90L as display and 90L for sump to be used as complete quarantine system. With some rock on one side and includes a DSB. If needed to catch a fish out I just divide the tasnk into 2 with a glass pane. With another smaller 45L for medication and bare bottom using sponge filters on the powerheads.

5. magman

magman Thread Starter

with regards to copperbands, why don't you try sinking pellets, I have found that the greedier fish fight over the morsels of flakes in the current, while the clever fish eat the pellets at the bottom in their own time............

Recent Posts