How long to acclimate your cleaner shrimps???

Discussion in 'Invertebrates' started by blackghostknife, 21 Jul 2014.

1. blackghostknife

blackghostknife

Hi All

The below (In Blue) was sent to me by one of the LFS, I lost a lot of stock from this store and a lot of money.

Now I bought two cleaner shrimp the weekend. lost both again, second pair in two weeks. I have never had this problem before. My DT Salinity is 1.026 and the water that come from the LFS is 1.018 when I tested it on Saturday.

My First Mail.

I’m very disappointed this morning again.

Saturday as I got home with my second batch of Cleaner shrimps, I started the acclamation process. I then tested the water that was in the bag, its tested 1.018… I could not believe my eyes. Then I tested my refractometer with RO water, it test 0. Tested the water in the bag, again 1.018. My DT is at 1.026. now about 2 hours into the acclimation the first Shrimp died. Water temp in the bags 25 degrees. The second shrimp made the 4 hour mark, and relocated him into my DT, he still has not moved from the place I put him, and he looks worse for wear.

I’m really not happy about the stock, I’m getting. I would like you to please test your Salinity in that small tank at the shop and let me know what you get.

Your response will be well appreciated.

Response from LFS

I am sorry for the loss and I really don’t understand how it is possible.
    I have tested the salinity in the small tank and my refractometer read 1.019. I also sent 4 shrimps to our other shop from the same tank. The aquarium at the other shop is also on 1.026 and she acclimatized them for a period of 6 hours.
    I phoned the manager of the other shop and she informed me that all the shrimps are still alive.
    [FONT=&quot]We have a policy that all shrimps must be acclimatized using a drip line and the whole process should take at least 12 hours. When we receive shrimps in the shop they are acclimatized for 24 hours before we move them to the aquariums. By doing it this way we have almost no loss on shrimps. When we receive livestock from the various suppliers the salinity can be as low as 1.016 which is adjusted to 1.026 over a period of time. [/FONT]

Please feel free to comment.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

1.019 sounds too low for inverts
    What are the shops other parameters?
    Going from 1.019 to 1.026 is a huge jump for any invert. One problem with long/slow acclimating is fouling of the water, which can result in death.

If i were you, id stop buying from that shop

4. Ebi Omer

Ebi Omer

I recently acclimated my cleaner shrimp for an hour and have had no problem. I bought it from my lfs but can't tell you what their salinity was.

But yes that salinity seems on the low end. They should probably bring it up abit as customers tanks would be more towards the 1.025 mark.

5. Ebi Omer

Ebi Omer

I've been told that cleaner shrimps are sensitive to change in kh and ph.

Maybe you should get that tested as well..

6. blackghostknife

blackghostknife Thread Starter

Hi @459b

Its way to low, and the crap about, acclimated 12 to 24 hours. I have never in my life hear about that. I'm waiting for my next response, I going to fight this, and get my money back or get replacements that have been Acclimated to 1.026 salinity.
    @RiaanP what are your thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  7. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

although I cannot personally confirm that I've heard people say (also have read on many forums including this one) that some pet shops keep gte salinity in their tanks low in order to save on salt which is unfair imo towards the end customer. a fair policy would be to display the holding tanks salinity so customers would know what they get into. I've bought two shrimps from two different shops so far and acclimatised both for less or about one hour without any issues.. I had never heard of a 12 hour aclimitising period using drip system but that's not to say that it is incorrect but possibly them knowing that their salinity is so low they recommend such long aclimitising period with drip to allow the shrimp to survive.

save yourself the headache and never buy from that shop again.

8. Darren24

Darren24

Bud, you are going to get yourself so work up and in the long run it will not be worth it.
    I used to be the same as you, you take losing live stock personally and want to fight your point based on principal.

If I was you I would let it go, this is what I do now. I'm not saying that you or the lfs are in the wrong. I have found that it is just not worth the frustration fighting loss of stock.

If they have not offered you a refund yet you are not going to get one.
    If you are not happy with the service Cross them off your supplier list and move on.

Just my 2 cents, good luck bud.

Ps. I dripped my cleaners for about 20 mins and put them in the dt.

9. ShaunSwindon

ShaunSwindon

Yeah same here. I drip my livestock for around an hour and then all into the display tank. From my 4 years of experience I have only lost one Lyre-tail who did not take the move from the LFS to my tank very well :(

My suggestion is stop buying from that store perhaps it might be something else besides the salinity?

10. Smirre

Smirre

Hyposalanity is common in a lfs as it helps to suppress white spot.

11. HoboHoppy

HoboHoppy

I have never dripped any fish of mine for hours. I have 4 shrimps in my tanks and they were not ever floated. I have never had a problem with any of my inverts or fish. They always eat 10 minutes after putting them in the tank.

I would just get a shrimp from the shop and throw it in the tank. The shrimps probably died from the water spoiling.

12. blackghostknife

HI All

Thank you for the feedback.

The only reason why I'm taking this to heart is because its one of our sponsor on the forum, and as we are some watt a close family, I don't want fellow reefers to experience the same problem.

13. rickgoldwing1

rickgoldwing1

I would change my lfs i drip all fish and inverts for two hours with a heater and an airstone never had a problem

14. hansiemyburgh

hansiemyburgh

When I started out i bought a shrimp he climbed out the bag into the tank and he made it.... Also bought a set of Anthias one made it and the other did not and them where dripped then went and bought a replacement Anthia he also jumped into the tank before the bag even touched the water and he made it. All this was also bought from sponsor on this site. Another case was I bought a Diamond Watchmen from one LFS and he did not make it, I took the sample back to them and told them something was wrong with the fish they said I damage the fish on transport or my water is not right. Why would I spend R280 and treat it bad on my way home and waste my money. Then I drove to another LFS the same day and got another Diamond Watchmen and he is still in my tank and going strong. So I would say sometimes there is just bad stock.

15. hazelbag

hazelbag

I know this is marines and not fresh water but I do think some lfs sell the fish very soon after getting them and the fish are stressed and this causes problems. They should be qt for a week or two, my 2c

16. 4age

4age

I reckon the shrimp was already stressed from the low salinity and this coupled with the change in environment caused the death of the shrimp

17. CharlieB

CharlieB

I have to agree. I acclimatise all my fish and inverts for about an hour and never had a problem. I honestly think some fish or inverts are just weak when you buy them and it can be luck if the draw. Sorry about your loses. Very frustrating!

18. blackghostknife

Hi All

Thank you for all the responses, my next question is.

Why does these stores then not quarantine there stock on receiving, till they are fit to be sold to the general public? Furthermore, I would like to know has there been other people in the same area that I am in have the same problem with the LFS and maybe we can get these people to start using correct practices (I hope that is the right words to us for this)

19. hansiemyburgh

hansiemyburgh

They will not quarantine them for a week. Think about it this way, LFS get stock every week how can there be so many fish keepers every week that require fish? At some point your tank at home should be stocked up. So where does all the new fish go, only some of them make it home safe and into your DT. But when you lost something you go back and buy again. And I think when the LFS have to quarantine them it is a cost to them as well and then they also could carry a few losses so they try to get them out as quick as possible. This is my 2c.

20. gMAN

gMAN with the plan

Sorry to hear of your losses. Bottom line, I don't think any LFS is willing to QT an entire shipment as it would a) cost too much and b) tie up their investment for too as long as they pay upfront for stock, so the idea is to turn that stock around as quickly as possible in order to re-invest in more stock. It's their business, you really can't blame them however, keeping SG at 1.018/9 is low and not fair play.
    12hr drip I've never heard of! The most I drip my LS is for an hour max.

I would strongly suggest you change your LFS and move on.

21. Darren24

Darren24

A lfs will never take the responsibility of qt live stock.
    The sooner they flip it the more money they make with the least risk possible.

It is the reefers responsibility to do there homework. Research what you buy, take the time to watch the livestock that you are going to buy and check for any signs of disease.

At the end of the day 9/10 lfs are in it for the money it is a business after all. You are in it for the hobby / love of the game.

Once again I am not saying your or the lfs are to blame. Find a lfs you trust, build a relasionship with them and make you expectations clear. Know your roll.

Recent Posts