How long should you wait before adding corals

Reaction score
Hi all,

I would like to know what is your opinion and experience on when to add corals.
I've been reading a lot and it varies day and night. My main focus will be LPS (euphyllia), so we all know stable water parameters are a must.
Let me know when did you add your first corals and what has your experience been so far.

Thanks for the feedback

Reaction score
Hi Pieter.
are you talking about adding to a new tank or just adding in general ?

i dont think there is really a specific time to add corals , what is important is acclimating them properly too many guys look passed acclimating corals just like fish
they are living animals and need to get used your tanks water temp and salinity(as well as other factors) . i dont want to go into much depth if i am not answering the correct question :thumbup:

Reaction score
Hi @Dazz07

Thank you for the reply.

I want to know more about when to add corals to a new tank.
Since we touched on the topic of acclimating corals, what is the right way to do it?
Will it be same as fish float it for a bout 30min and then drip slowly for an hour?

Thank again for the feedback

BTW when is the next video coming out?

Reaction score
Difficult to say as everyone’s startup is different. I’ve just added the first LPS (frogspawn) to my 3 month old tank but I replaced all the bio rock with mature live rock from various sources. If you’re happy things are stable and have an idea of your current KH and CA demand then try a cheap LPS. If you have just recently completed a cycle I would get a few zoa frags for your empty sand bed below first. Nothing good happens quickly in this hobby

Reaction score
well Adding to a "new tank" shouldn't be much of an issue with all the different additives we got now days you could probaly add certain types of LPS within the first week (i may be wrong)

with regards to the acclimation process , remember to always dip , when floating make sure your lights are not bright so turn them down (that is probably why some people say add in the evenings as some tanks will be on the moonlight phase ), if you can adjust your lights lower do so for a few days and slowly ramp them back up to where they need to be its important for the coral to get used to your lighting as well as your schedule if they just get dumped in there is a good chance they will be unhappy their polyps wont fully extend and depending on the type of coral they could even bleach . so i think add them into a low light and low flow area and move them where they need to be once they are settled .

i have a new video uploading its just taking ages not the most creative one but needed to get something up as my phone was broken and i couldn't upload . thanks for the support by the way :cheers2:

Reaction score
Well this depends. Dry rock or live rock

Live rock pretty much in the same month as your cycle is finished and fish are added

Dry rock I'll wait till atleast the ugly phase has subsided just a little so around the 3 month to 5 month mark

Regarding coral acclimation just temp match and add to a low light area with the right flow for the type of colony.

Don't shove high flow loving corals in low flow spots (this can make your coral lose colour, or detritus or sand can settle on the coral and cause issues with the flesh)

Don't move the coral often give it time to settle (this doesn't apply if the coral is losing tissue)

Salinity matching only holds true if your salinity is quite higher or lower than the LFS salinity which is uncommon provided you keep to the recommended spec so I wouldn't even bother with this unless you specifically run high or low SG

Always Dip new additions and move to new frag plugs if possible

Always inspect for pests or disease

If you want a total pest free system I'd invest in a coral QT setup. Dips dont affect things like aiptasia

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi @Dazz07

Thank you for the reply.

I want to know more about when to add corals to a new tank.
Since we touched on the topic of acclimating corals, what is the right way to do it?
Will it be same as fish float it for a bout 30min and then drip slowly for an hour?

Thank again for the feedback

BTW when is the next video coming out?

Top Bottom