how long should a tank cycle?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by keegz001, 25 Dec 2012.

1. keegz001

keegz001

i know you wait for phosphates nitrates,nitrites but some people put fish in the second day how is this possible i add bacteria let i wait 2 months how can they wait 2 days?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

...;) (old school)..:p
    http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/showthread.php?t=20232

4. belindamotion

My Tank Cycled for 5 months...LOL...I don't understand how they can do it in a few days...I had sleepless night's when I just thought about it...:blush:
    The "Pod Population" was also a great factor for me...I wanted to make sure I had a lot when livestock went it...:blush:

Last edited: 25 Dec 2012
  5. belindamotion

6. keegz001

keegz001 Thread Starter

7. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

8. keegz001

keegz001 Thread Starter

9. pkc

pkc

It depends on many things as to how long this will take.

I have never had a tank go any longer then 3 weeks to full maturity and every thing in, the reason for that is I do not use actual live rock these days.

The bio filters and tank combo I use to establish fully matured for shops were always in full swing in under 12 days ready for customers to add corals and fish.

Its quite easy to do this, there are ways if you are set up for it!

I have never used anything for maturing that wasn’t from nature that I got myself, after that the help of something activated at times or algae.

If the live rock you use has intense life in and on it you are taking a serious risk to fish health by placing them in after a short length of time with no supporting equipment or a natural life form to take out toxins as algae will.

But even saying that, it is possible to enable a very quick start even with intense live rock if you account for the toxins from sponges and many other life forms that may die soon after live rock goes in and stress soon after adding and release their toxic contents.

The way I did it at times for large tanks was to mature the sump completely else where off a large bucket or tub and then sit it under the tank and switch it all on already having algae in play, or in the distant past I would always use activated carbon and phosphate sponge.

There are ways to establish a very intense reef tank full of life and very healthy very quickly.

I hope that gives some insight to how it is possible to get it going very quickly.

Last edited: 26 Dec 2012
  10. crispin

crispin

im still a big believer in 'mother nature knows best' and leaving a tank to cycle, settle, mature and stabalise befor adding things like fish. i know some people say use a bacterial suppliment and throw fish in straight after (a few days cycle) but ive always found tanks to establish better and be easier to maintain with a decent length of time (two months or so) for cycling and maturing, esecially things like pods, bristle worms bacteria and the like.

i also belive in using good quality LR to start a system and if i am in doubt of the quality and handling of LR before I start then i suggest taking the time to mature and cycle that LR with bacterial suppliments in a decent sytem with skimmers, heaters and internal flow.

time spend setting up a tank is always time well spend:)

11. keegz001

keegz001 Thread Starter

12. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

To do it in a few days, you have to have a decent water volume, good flow, good oxygenation, good skimming, add bacteria (seachem or prodibio) and a carbon source (vodka or zeostart or brightwell bio fuel) have a good substrate for biofilm colonization (Orca cubes or zeolith) use fully cured rock and really know what you are doing.
    Very much possible, but as mentioned above, it simply is better to wait for nature to do its thing.
    There are a few other cheats, like using filtration media from an edtablished system and some mature water, but again, if you dont know exactly what you are doing, you are risking the health and well being of your inmates and of course ur wallet.

13. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

That's what I did, except the zeolith part. Used old Orca cubes as well.

14. keegz001

keegz001 Thread Starter

i just dont get why people cant wait a nonth to ensure safety rather safe than sorry in the long run and i cant imagine the fish like it :/

15. irie ivan

Its all about establishing a bacterial population. Some of us simply werent born with patience, so we replace it with experience and understanding, which allows us to do it quickly.
    However, i would not recommend the things I do when starting a tank to anybody.

16. keegz001

keegz001 Thread Starter

17. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

:biggrin: Some people just have it! :lol:

18. keegz001

keegz001 Thread Starter

19. the fish

the fish

Even with all the supplements out there to help the process on, i would still rather let it cycle the full 6-8 weeks. Just to be safe

20. keegz001

keegz001 Thread Starter

21. irie ivan

Nope, they will only stress if you allow ammonia and nitrite to rise and dont keep parameters like alk, pH and salinity stable.

Recent Posts