How long can you go???

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by carlosdeandrade, 2 Aug 2012.

1. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

I have had quite a stressfull 26 hours! It all began on a called winters night.......
    Ok seriously, I went out to supper on eraly Wed evening, got home, placed my slepping son in bed and settled down for some funny business on DSTV (modern family and two broke girls, love 'dem shows), at 20:15 we have a power outtage, I don't worry because I know my UPS will kick in, I have a great gel battery ,and lately, these so called outtages only last for no more than four hours, off to bed!

At 5 I wake, (normal routine) and still NO POWER, TANK TEMP is at 19' UPS still goig smoothly, so I connect up my tiny camping gen to power up my heater, dam thing doesn't wanna start (it was cold too). eventually after fighting for about an hour, got it working, took my boy to school smelling like petrol, only to get home to find my battery was about to die, I forgot that I was running two tanks with the one battery :)banghead::dft004:
    So I had to buy a new battery while I charged the old one.
    My tank stayed at 19', no lights the whole day and the lights came on at around 30 min ago. We wont talk about the time it took to carry out one battery to get it charged and carry in the new one, had to have five min breaks every two steps, I am not the one strappy boy I use to be:blush:.

What was the cause of power shortage, burst water pipe outside my complex that severed the cables!

So what is the moral of my 24hour "adventure?"

Always be prepared in this hobby, I believe I haven't lost anything because I have good husbandry skills, understocked tank and a wifey that keeps me calm!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Helga

Helga

Shame ... stresssssss...... and off course these things have to happen on the coldest night so far. Johannesburg was -5 last night. Hope everything is back to normal soon.

4. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade Thread Starter

yeah, it was freezing! So far so good, my cleaner wrasse is the only one hiding, the other fish look like those party goers that have been in a dark club for hours, only to be rudely awaken by the sun! Ask me how everything is in a day or two.

5. IMarine

IMarine

Hi there your tank should be all good,when we have power outages ,what you can do is have a gas heater near the front glass of the tank,pls not to close and that should help with about 2-3 deg and you then should wrap your whole tank with a blanket and that includes the top of your tank,a battery air pump and you should be good for hours

6. Andreas

Andreas

:lol::lol:Glad everything is still fine. We had numerous outages at my old residence and my livestock survived a couple of ordeals. I got so paranoid that I eventually had 2 gennies on stand-by just incase the one decided to pack up:p

A UPS and Gennie I think is definately a good investment in this hobby;) The gennie could always be used for other things as well.

Last edited: 2 Aug 2012
  7. carlosdeandrade

Thanks @IMarine, a gas heater, never thought of that, DUH!!:whistling: @Andreas, not sure what a genie is, please elaborate?
    Thanks for the advice guys!

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  8. Gesiggie

Gesiggie Challenge accepted

I think he is referring to a generator... :blush:

9. Fanlie

Fanlie

I will worry when power off :( in winter worry more i. Summer is fine. Hope all your fish is okay

I use ups battery Wavermaker, it help keep oxygen into water. When power off. That wavermaker can keep 4-5hour. and if the power goes off then security area sms and my power is down. Then I put the gas heater on.

10. carlosdeandrade

11. carlosdeandrade

Fish are fine, my UPS is hooked to my min return pumps, so water circulates through sumps and DT.

Recent Posts