How long can sea water be stored?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Ed_Maddocks, 1 Jul 2012.

1. Ed_Maddocks

Ed_Maddocks

I was wondering how long can I keep water in a closed drum for?

I collect sea water to do 20% water changes every 2 weeks. Can I keep keep water for 2 weeks or should I rather collect water every time?

Comments and help will be appreciated!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. brentnorm

brentnorm

I am sure you're going to get a lot of die off before the two weeks. Can't be good.

4. X Faktor

X Faktor

Die offs as in?

5. DeanT

DeanT Dean

Tagging along
    Also one of my queries
    I have 600l drum to mix one bucket of salt
    Hopefully perfect ratio
    I did this so I can store water for about 3 months
    If circulated once in a while can it be stored ?
    Any problems with this ?
    This is ro water mixed with salt

6. magman

magman

If you really want to do it properly, you should actually store it for a month or so that any pathogens/parasites die off with out a host, and maybe keep a pump or airstone in the water to keep it turning.

As for myself, I usually get a month or two's supply and just gooi it in the drum in the garage, I do have a feeling though that it does maybe lead to a bit of cynao with die off, the last month I have been collecting weekly and using it all, which I think is better.

7. ShaneO

ShaneO

If you want everything dead in the sea water then yes keep it a month and it will be safe to use but there will be no benefit to your tank.

Sea water should be used within the day or two it was collected so you get all the GOODIES it comes with which is healthy for the tank, one problem is that I could bring disease, the risk you take.

Mixed salt with RO water is best also used within the day as you don't loose all the supplements in it but it can be stored and used at a later stage, I would bit store it for more than a month though and would always keep it pumping so there is movement! I normally mix and use within two weeks and have never had problems.

I only used mixed salt and not sea water, two many expensive exotic fish to take a chance of disease from the sea.

8. dendrosa

dendrosa Member

I collect 500l nsw at a time and store in 500l tank outside. When I transfer the water from the collection tank to the storage tank I run the water through a filter. Water then lasts a two weeks to 1 month, depending on frequency of my water changes. I always check nitrate and phosphate reading of the storage tank before a water change and both have always been 0 / undedectable - and I know my kits are working because I get reading in the display tank.
    My reason for using NSW is purely cost saving. Changing 1000l /month or so is a significant cost in salt.

9. brentv

brentv

I have collected and used NSW for my tanks for years!
    I collect and add immediately!
    I have never had any diseased fish ever!
    Just get the collected water to within a degree or 2 temp though!
    Mine is added in my first chamber of my sump!
    I do about 10-15% every 2 weeks!
    Corals fish everything always happy

10. mornewil

mornewil Morne

I used salt for months & changed to nsw slowly. After a couple of waterchanges i had algae outbreaks. Tested nsw (2 oceans) & had no nitrates but some phosphates.
    So in my opinion mixed saltwater is better. I mix 50l at a time & change 25L per week. Which then lasts 2 weeks. Havent had any issues so far.

11. brentch

brentch

Generally this only applies to CT water though. Water in KZN is usually always much lower in PO4 and NO3...

12. mornewil

mornewil Morne

True. Question still remains how long can it be stored. I was also wondering if i can mix more at a time & use over a month? Got a 100l drum but only mixing 50l at a time.

13. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

If you want to keep it you will have to add oxygen and a heater to keep the levels up and minimise die off. If you make up salt water then you can store that pretty much indefinitely if you use containers that wont leach stuff into it.

14. mornewil

mornewil Morne

Cool that is what im currently doing. I keep the temperature correct with a power head circulating at all times. So when water changes come then water is always ready.
    Im using a 120L food grade bin.

Recent Posts