How long can I keep a mantis in a hospital tank?

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Mirage, 14 Feb 2011.

1. Mirage

Mirage

I bought about 6kg of rock, I am not sure where its from, its not Figi rock.I made the mistake of putting it directly into my Nano,(3yrs running now) only to discover an array of ticking and unusul creatures craling out of it.
    I have two mantis shrimp, a dark redish brown and a light beige colour - one of which is still in the main tank. I have bristle worms, a fire worm, a wierd white slug with dark rust coloured spots, a wierd tiny snail with yellow and black stripes, a crab with navy and royal blue legs just like a pom pom crab, but without the anenomes and pitch black pinchers.At night I have little white earthworm type creatues coming out of the live rock and I have a few mussles living inside the caves of the rock.

I have set up my hospital tank, using sand and water from my main tank and I placed some of the LR into the tank. So far all the creatures are happy. The mantis is not agressive at all, he let's me put my hand in the tank and I use my fingers to put food by his hole, he is only an inch in size. He has not killed the wierd crab that doesn't seem to exist, cause I've googled for days to try to find pics of him.

My concern is that my hospital tank is too small, it fits on the side table next to my bed, about 45cm high and pentagon shaped. The glass is very thin. I fear the mantis may turn agressive and smash the glass. How long can I keep him in this tank? I wonder if perhpas the two are a pair, at night I hear random taps from the nano on my hubby's side of the bed, and then I hear taps from the hospital tank on my side! Can they communicate or am I just paranoid? So far no fish or crabs are missing or hurt. I am tryin really hard to remove the mantis from the Nano. Should I be concerned about the crab?

Sorry about the long essay!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Monde

Monde

Um how did you catch the Mantis?

4. Dane

Dane

Mirage!

This is probably something you should deal with quickly... Ultimately you will lose livestock to the mantis shrimps. Don't stress about the thickness of the glass - its really not as big an issue as people make it out to be. They are more likely to crack the base - this can be prevented by placing eggcrete or a piece of plastic on the base of the tank. How big is the tank in totality? A mantis tank can be set up very easily, and they make the most rewarding pets - you can coax them out of their shy attitude. Mine used to come out whenever I came near the tank and interact with me in the most amazing ways! :) I really wouldnt recommend hand feeding, can you tell if they're smashers or spearers?

You can DEFINITELY not keep the two together!!! Even if they are "mates", they dont live happily together!

Please please post pics!!! I would possibly be happy to take the second mantis off your hands - once I can get a rough ID on it.

The snail sounds a bit worrisome, sounds like it might be a bumble bee snail, and I wouldnt want a carnivore snail in a nano personally.
    [​IMG]

But please please take some pics! I am rather crazy about wierd inverts, so if you give me pics I'm happy to try and ID what you've got and advise accordingly.

Cheers,
    D

Last edited: 15 Feb 2011
  5. Dane

Dane

6. Dane

Dane

7. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

should i comment about how long you can keep a mantis in a "hospital tank"? ;)

8. Dane

Dane

Hahahah, Dave, if the mantis stays in the display tank for much longer, it'll become a hospital tank... Or more like a casualty ward like your old tank! ;-)

9. Mirage

Mirage Thread Starter

The bumble-bee snail is the one that I have! Its tiny. All the critters that I have listed above are in the hospital tank. The crab is super fast, there is no way I can photograph it! Its amazing! The Mantis is the same, I have only seen him once, he is very fast, I took a thin pipe and pushed it into the rock and blew bubbles into the hole, he then scurried out the other side, once I knew his hiding place I then removed the entire rock and placed it inside the "hospital tank" I have never used it, as I have never had a sick fish, I lost all of my fish to a really large gorilla crab :(
    (Including my Mandarin - being my prized possession over the last two years)

I will post a pic of the hospital tank but you wont see anything?!

10. Mirage

Mirage Thread Starter

I wish I could find a pic of the crab, its as fast as a tang shooting across the tank, and its legs are exactly the same as the pom pom crab but its body is larger. Its claws are pitch black with very small pinchers. As I mentioned the on e mandarin is a beige colour but had a red patch behind its head, the other is a very dark red to brown colour, hard to tell with the light in the hosital tank cause its one of those globes that makes all the red objects look amazing. I have a basic idea as to where the 2nd one is, I find when the hermits are active and crawling over certain rocks, I hear the ticking.

[​IMG]

11. Mirage

Mirage Thread Starter

This is the hospital tank

12. Mirage

Mirage Thread Starter

The missing mantis looks like this one, very plain, but he did have a wierd bright red patch on the back of his "neck" They are bot only an inch long. When do they develope their colouring?

13. Mirage

Mirage Thread Starter

[​IMG]

14. Dane

Dane

There are many many species of mantis shrimps. Some are brightly coloured and some are very dull. They also may change colour a great deal depending on their age and environment. I would say that you can keep a small mantis quite comfortably in that hex. I would just provide a nice deep sand bed - many species like to dig a little, and they try and "hammer" through obstacles. Mine dug a few perfectly cylindrical tunnels through my live rock! Needless to say a plastic tray/base is good for peace of mind...

Also, when you say that the mantis looks like the last one do you just mean colour or do you also mean the shape of its raptorial appendages?

15. Mirage

Mirage Thread Starter

[​IMG]

16. Mirage

Mirage Thread Starter

You cant really see the Mantis? He has these long stalky eyes that seem to bend, its rather disturbing actually. The Two seem to have shifted rocks, they use pebbles to baracade the various entrances to their lairs, and have both of their front doors facing each other.... They are both enjoying the krill and are well fed, no sign of fighting or hostility, I think they are related, they look almost identical...
    I am rather happy, I've had the spare tank running for a month now and my glass has a nice supply of copods. Would like to arrange some of the spaghetti algae that they keep in the refugiums, and use this as a copod tank for food for my new Mandarin... I have had him since Sat and he is so happy in my Nano. Wasnt sure if he would survive, a few of them at the store were dying, one was half eaten which was kinda gross, but my tank has been running 3 years so he is in good hands with his new mommy :)

Last edited: 21 Feb 2011
  17. Dane

Dane

I'm trying! but i can't see nothing! :p

18. Mirage

Mirage Thread Starter

In the centre of the pic, he is grabbing a piece of krill, he has a brownish coloured head popping out of the hole in the rock... I dont have a suitable camera for taking pics through glass, they never come out :(
    They are both very sweet, my light is the type that brings out the red in the tank, with my torch he has a green tint underneith, so I have no idea what colour he is? Will keep trying. He came out completely when I fed him, but my hand was fulkl of water, didnt want to wet the camera so I missed that pic. He just over an inch long and not even a cm wide...

19. Mirage

Mirage Thread Starter

[​IMG]

20. Dane

Dane

Aha! Now I see! :-D Thats great! ;-)
    Let me know what "hubby" decides! hehehe

21. KeeganP

KeeganP

Those are awesome Mirage...! awesome LR as well, wonder if I can find some of that locally...Anybody know I could find LR like that?

Recent Posts