How long can a fish stay out of the water?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by saaid, 16 Jan 2012.

1. saaid

saaid

I'm curious because I had an incident back in November but my wife & I still talk about it.

Her favorite fish which happens to be a Piccasso Trigger was absent from feeding one morning. I thought nothing of it maybe he was chilling somewhere. So the night I get home I still didn't see him. I then decided to throw in some food just to make sure again. After scouting the whole tank I see the mesh on the overflow is missing? I thought its not possible,he cant fit in there (32mm).

I then told the wife he is missing,she got upset. Told me to check the pipes and I said but everything is running normal still. After much thought we realised it can only be there (yes she was right).

I go to close the ball valve and it wouldn't budge. It then hit me...Not knowing whether he was alive or not I quickly shut everything down and got a torch to see up the pipe and there he was head up (against the flow).

He wasn't moving so assumed he was dead. I took the pipe to toilet and sprayed water through but wouldn't move...poked it with a acrylic tube to push it down and still nothing. By then I thought oh well sadly...

So I go the garage and unsure if I had extra fittings I pull out the heat gun to try and loosen things up. That didn't happen as the pipes were just softening so I twisted it and as it opened there this fish (called ZEB) was gasping for air. Man I couldn't believe it but just as fast as that thought sprung to mind I was up and running for the sump. I blew air into it and out he shot but he was clearly out of it. Bouncing off the glass as if he were blind.

Then I thought i'd put him back in the DT so it would be familiar for him but still bounced along for about 15mins.

He came around a little later and back to his usual munching ways.

Now there was a big time lapse from being in the water and out. So I still don't know how he survived all of that.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. SteveZi

SteveZi

I guess he didn't want to be found.

anyway - I had a largemouth bass in the boot of my car for a whole day( it was a hot day) - that evening i saw the gills barely moved, it was dry as dirt - i filled the bathtub and chucked it in and next day it was right as rain.
    it all depends on the species - some are robust, some you just look at and they get a heart attack.

4. K_ONE

K_ONE

I think being out of water is the least of Zeb's problems.

Stuck in a pipe.
    Squashed in a ball valve..
    Tap water hose down...
    Poked in the head with acrylic tube....
    THEN attacked with a heat gun???

Poor Poor Zeb!

5. saaid

saaid Thread Starter

Exactly what we discuss,I still cant believe man:eek:

6. student

student

Thats incredible!
    ZEB- what a legend!! ;)

Tremayn, Broder and lIghty like this.
  7. zayd

zayd

amazing, to say the least

8. maj

maj

so how long all in all was he "harassed" by u?10mins?20mins?

9. durleo

durleo

Give that fish a "Bells":tt2:

10. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

some are tougher than others

11. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

wow i have hear some heroic fish stories in my day :)

12. magman

magman

I was fishing at one of the ski boats, and one of the kids caught a small stumpie, so I told them to put it on the back of the bakkie for fresh food for the nemmie, it was a baking hot richards bay day, in the sun, about half an hour later I went picked up my daughter from music lessons, then went home, when I took the stumpie to cut it up for the nemmie, I checked a gill move, I couldn't believe it, so I chucked in in where the skimmer is, and within 10 minutes, I had to almost dismantle the sump to get it out. It was out the water in the sun for at least 45 minutes.

I think that was the last time I ever caught fresh fish for the anenomes, just didn't have the heart after that.

13. saaid

saaid Thread Starter

A good 30min I would say? Think I violated him :whistling:

Maybe do some Caramel Vodka dosing :lol::lol::lol:

14. erratiC

erratiC

LOL! Jeez... 30 min! How is that even possible? I can barely hold my breath for 2 min and I'm gasping for air... surely he must feel the same for water?

Zeb is clearly just a legend... pichas or we don't believe you :p

:lol::lol:

Last edited: 16 Jan 2012
  15. saaid

saaid Thread Starter

Of him alive ? I still have the pipe too!

Another interesting that happend a while back involving my Cleaner Wrasse. It was sometime just after I had fed the fish and I walked passed the tank and saw my cat just sitting there with his paw stretched out. So I stop and to take a look and I see him moving the Wrasse around! I stood there and thought ***? The cat ain't wet,she obviously took a launch out of the tank.

I picked her up,she was a bit dry and full of hair LOL. I didn't want to wipe it off as she seemed so fragile so I just popped her back into the tank...she was still alive!

Very lethargic,swimming was a bit weak. It took her the night to shake off all the fur.

Doubt she'll jump again but I'm to blame as I knew they do tend to take flight at times.

Recent Posts