How long after "eating" before mouth is fully closed

Discussion in 'Anemone's' started by RiaanP, 11 Dec 2009.

1. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

How long after a RBTA were given food,before his mouth is full closed? About how long after feeding can shrimps and hermits still remove or steal the food from the bubble tip?

I got a nice RBTA two weeks ago. First thing, he does not like too much light, and kept on moving down. 4 days ago he moved in under another rock, but I could not see him. I did feed him once a week, a small little bit of silverside. This morning I turned the rock and what an ugly show. Tentacles thin and droopy, but still full colour and mouth fully open. He is obviously hungry, but I did feed him 5 days ago, so only reason was that after I fed him and walked away the shrimps must have been able to take the food out.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

He could just have deflated which is a normal thing for them to do. My RBTA looks totally gross when he deflates, he goes as flat as anything, tentacles almost withered down to nothing, mouth wide open with all sorts of bits sticking out. But a few hours later he looks absolutely gorgeous again.

Try to feed him small bits, about half a cm bits of silverside twice a week. It's best to feed your shrimps and your tank first so that there is less chance of the shrimps stealing his food. Not sure how long they take to close, I've never really taken notice of that.

4. magman

magman

Riaan, I don't have RBTA's, I have 3 other species, but imho, you shouldn't feed when they not fully expanded. Are you sure they not just purging? Purging is a good thing, means your water is good, they release all the old water, and then take up new, sometimes 2 hours, sometimes 24 hours. Maybe he has moved away from the light, maybe a week or two he will come out. Blimin LFS don't keep enough light for nemmies and they get shocked when they come into our systems. I don't think though he should do both at once. My nemmies after feeding are fully open again and mouth closed with in 5 minutes after feeding. Best bet is to feed the fish first, then immediatly the nemmies, then they wont steal food. I only feed when they fully expanded, to me that means they happy and hunting so-to-speak.

Brenda help here please,

Here's my mag purging, ugly but perfectly normal, he does this 2 or 3 times after a water change, then not again till the next.

[​IMG]

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Thread Starter Moderator

Thanks, after 30 minutes babysitting him with a small piece of silverside, eventually halfway down, a shrimp did steal the food out of its mouth. My sons distracted me for 2 seconds, and the shrimp too the moment.

I then removed the RBTA, and out him in my frag tank with a hard plastic net rolled up into a tube standing around him. Nothing can get to him and he cannot get to the powerhead. With even smaller piece over his mouth. He looks a lot better now. Will check tomorrow

Recent Posts