How important is a night light

I love when people say fish try to jump out of the tank. Its simply not the case. Fish swim in the tank and sometimes they get startled and swim fast to the left/right/up/down. Sometimes swimming up causes them to breach the surface of the water and us silly humans think they trying to escape the confines of the tank

I know that, but it doesn't make much difference when your fish ends up on the floor.
Obviously no fish trys to jump out the tank, intentionally.
They just seem to freak out a bit when the lights out.

firstly the moon light is never the same and it changes daily and then also every season.
So does the sun, yet we all put bright static lights over our tank and they seem to work. ;)

So does the sun, yet we all put bright static lights over our tank and they seem to work. ;)

For Sure the difference is we have done lots of research on the sun and the amount and colors we need for our corals, not sure we done the same on moon light :peroni:

For Sure the difference is we have done lots of research on the sun and the amount and colors we need for our corals, not sure we done the same on moon light :peroni:
Perhaps we should change the wording from "moonlight" to "night light", as I don't see it as 'simulating' the moon light in the same sense that we try to simulate the sunlight, in my opinion I am simply adding some very dull light at night over my reef, and I call that my moonlight :). I don't see any point in doing so much research, it is after all just a tiny LED or two. If the corals spawn, awesome, if not, oh well. But I'm pretty sure it at least helps my shrimps navigate around the tank at night, which is hugely beneficial to me as they eat any left over food.

And why is the moon made of cheese?

Off Topic but the only way to get the real affect of moon light is to have a sunlit tank - I am very happy with the new setup I am going to have all natural sun and moon light

Just a dumb question,why are moonlights blue?
Good question, probably because it's less bright than white and makes quite a nice visual effect in the tank.

I once had a single white LED that I used for moonlight, but instead of shining it straight down, I mounted it on the side bracing of the tank shining directly across the water surface from left to right, I got a much more dispersed light and it created a lovely looking shimmer effect on the reef.

Good question, probably because it's less bright than white and makes quite a nice visual effect in the tank.

I once had a single white LED that I used for moonlight, but instead of shining it straight down, I mounted it on the side bracing of the tank shining directly across the water surface from left to right, I got a much more dispersed light and it created a lovely looking shimmer effect on the reef.

Exactly what I done. Bought one those R5 clip on LED's and it looked really nice.

@vatso,you can't get the full effect of the moon unless you have a huge,open standing tank in your yard free of trees.

Last edited by a moderator:
:whistling: I see a roof walls and windows?

Yes that's true and also the moon only will shine against the walls and hide from the skylight and open windows LOL:p:peroni:

Like both you & I stated in the previous posts : real effect of moonlight? You will have "stationary" light.

I always had open sump areas, and the sump light reflected around the room back to the tanks.
Advantage was that the front part of the house never needed any other lights. :thumbup:

Anyway on my new build the sump area and more important the refugium will be in the fishroom part. And the house is now dark.

A "moonlight" might not be beneficial in a tank,but not having a moonlight may not be benificial for your tank and having one might be beneficial to a tank.:eek: So in short,maybe its better to have one. :lol: even if its just for human viewing pleasure. Im sure that some creatures,bacteria,inverts etc do benefit from having a little light during the night.

Took this pic on my way to work this morning...if only we could replicate/mimic nature :)

4234502b740461fd8.jpg

So this topic really interest me the other day. Went home and hooked up my 9w color changing LED light and set it on blue :lol: yes blue!

Sat around the tank every now and then through the night. On the first night a few of the fish just hung around munching in the water column while others were confused. Then last night, all the fish were cruising around and still munching on things not visible to the naked eye and seemed very calm. Then this morning when I checked,they were all schooling underneath it. I think I'll leave it hooked up :thumbup:

4234502e018106f8e.jpg

I read somewhere that it can cause ur coral to spawn... Correct me if I'm wrong

With regards to the above statement, I have a documentry on the ocean and when they speak about Corals and thier habitat, It is said that at a certain time of year when the moon is full hte Corals start to spawn.
Just my two cents on this.
FYI. This is 4 CD pack called, "The Blue Planet" Very interesting might I add.
Cheers
M

Back
Top Bottom