How important is a night light

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Charl_Stanhope, 14 Aug 2012.

1. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

Hi guys

How important is a night light(moonlight) in a setup ? The reason Im asking is my leds im using as a night light got destroyed by salt spray. Should I rush out and go buy a night light or is it ok to run a setup without a night light.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

I don't have any..my fish sleep in darkness...as far as I know "moonlights" is just for you'r "viewing pleasure" at night and nothing else...

4. vatso

vatso

The Moon is very important it's what causes the currents and Waves - I suggest you get a moon light that does the same :tt2::lol:

5. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope Thread Starter

:lol::lol:just connect your tank to the moon.then you will have all the tides.

6. Charl_Stanhope

Thats what I thought,but then googled and google came up with a lot of crap. Now I not sure anymore

7. Ishtak

Ishtak

My daughter is 8 and still has her night light on when she goes to sleep :tt2:

8. CocaColaza

CocaColaza

No need for night light. Your corals close so they dont care and the fish are clueless anyway.

9. Helga

Helga

Have to agree with the above. Neither your corals nor your fish HAVE TO HAVE moonlights, but I have noticed that when for some reason my moonlights arent on, the fish are very nervous when you move around the tank. One thing for sure, they are creatures of habit..... they get used to things done in a certain way and when its changed.... theyre nervous!!! :(

10. reEfa

reEfa

I read somewhere that it can cause ur coral to spawn... Correct me if I'm wrong

11. cclarity

cclarity

If you have a sump light that is on when your lights are off don't worry as that will help your PH, but I'm not sure how much advantage if any a small moon light will be to the system. Maybe for you yes.;)

12. roelof

roelof

my tank goes lights out at 7 pm (all bud the sump)and back on at 8 am , and my fishies are happy, my tank is only 5 mounths old bud it works for me ,

13. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Its only there for the human viewing pleasure.

What happens when its dark moon? then its really dark...

14. Wes

Wes

bit of a contradiction here, but in my experience my fish sleep better with a moon light, Couple guys I've spoken to have mentioned that reefs are never dark dark unless there is some sort of cloud cover, even the stars give off enough light over the ocean to give off a pale light on the reef, reason for the fish sleeping better in my opinion and simple thoughts is they can actually be somewhat more aware of their surroundings, cause there are a number of Nocturnal Predators around in the real reef situation, and possibly the same within a few of the Tanks we keep...

15. Mc

Mc

My fuge light leaks into my tank, and I have found once or twice when it was off one or two of my fish started going a bit crazy and trying to jump out of the tank.

I know in the sea it plays a part in coral spawning, but I don't think thats it make a big difference to the coral in our tanks.

16. Charl_Stanhope

Thanx for the replies. My first initial thought was that the moonlights is for human viewing pleasure only. But surely the moon's light must hold some sort of benefit to the reefs out there. I know it affects the tides etc. But then logic tells me that the moonlights we have are for viewing pleasure only because nocturnal animals don't need the light. As @Wes said,maybe the light is there to help the diurnal animals be aware of their surroundings.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  17. Charl_Stanhope

I have had my clowns jump into the back chambers quite often since I lost the moonlight. But now,a couple of days later,they seem to be use to the fact of not having a moonlight.

18. rakabos

rakabos

Lol

I love when people say fish try to jump out of the tank. Its simply not the case. Fish swim in the tank and sometimes they get startled and swim fast to the left/right/up/down. Sometimes swimming up causes them to breach the surface of the water and us silly humans think they trying to escape the confines of the tank :lol:

19. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Not 100% true, shrimps like cleaner shrimps and coral banded shrimps often go on walkabouts during the night foraging for food, crabs also come out and if it is a predatory crab and your fish can't see it coming then... plus many corals are known to spawn under moonlight, so I believe moonlights are beneficial for both the tank inhabitants and the viewer.

20. vatso

vatso

I find this to be a very funny thread, firstly the moon light is never the same and it changes daily and then also every season. I am lucky my tank currently has lots of sun light and will get moon light as well. but I don't think one LED is the same as the moon and it's affects.

This is just to grey to start making statements of how it works

21. cclarity

cclarity

Last month I woke up to find my tank a milky smelly sespit. Did a 5% WC and by 11am all was back to normal. I asume this was a mass coral spauning.

Recent Posts