How hot is too hot?

Reaction score
Well today was pretty hot in JHB, my JBJ Nano Cube temperature went up to 28C.

Is this still an acceptable temperature? Can't see it going higher than this where the tank is placed.

Thanks
Matt

Well today was pretty hot in JHB, my JBJ Nano Cube temperature went up to 28C.

Is this still an acceptable temperature? Can't see it going higher than this where the tank is placed.

Thanks
Matt

Get a desk top fan on it, get some drinking bottles full of R/O - put them in the freezer to regulate temps in an emergency.

Up to 28c is ok, anything higher than that - it can be bad, a friend of mine lost all his corals and nen' at 32c

Usually sits around 24/25, today was really hot tho! Think it stabilised at 27.5/28C (got 2 diff readings from 2 diff glass thermometers)

I'm not too worried about it though, will do as you suggested though Wee-Man ;)

As Wee-man said, 28 is still okay, from 30 things get tough and at 32+ you might be staring at a disaster. A good fan wil drop your temp with up to 4 degrees, but you need to have your top up water nearby. The fan cause evaporative cooling which can cause a quick drop in water levels.

Yeah try and keep it there abouts 28, rathe keep it there than and see saw scenario

try and keep it constant at 28.

its higher than i would like, bit a constant 28 will be better than fluctuations

Well for the past 4 or 5 days its been at a constant 25, I just noticed today was particularly warm and it got to 28.

So I will keep my heater set to 25, and if it gets hotter i'll put a fan on it (Can I have a fan running the whole day?)

Also how long will RO water last if kept in 20L drums (out of sunlight) ??

try and keep it constant at 28.

its higher than i would like, bit a constant 28 will be better than fluctuations

To be honest, in a nano, i think 28 is too high, there is no room for error, better to keep it around 26c.

my chiller is set at 25 the previous night it shot up to 28.5.

I would agree with Wee-Man and aim for 26 in a Nano the problem being the lack of oxygen in water at higher temps and if you have a fair bio load in any system this could become a problem very fast. Now a nano with such a small amount of water the problem could escalate even faster.

well i'm going to monitor it for a bit, its been around 24 or 25 for the past week. just shot up to 28 today (which is still ok)

Will see how it goes before I make any plans.

Hi Matt - just something else as well - I agree with the wanting the temp to stay constant - BUT, take into account that the water temp also changes on the reefs in the sea as well - as long as the change is NOT TOO rapid, and not too high - and as long as the temp does not stay high for too long either.

Alan made a very important note: the higher the water temp, the less oxygen in the water - this is a major problem..... so ensure that you have oxygen in the water for the life-stock (power-head that churns the water surface)....

Thanks jacquesb: Went out and bought a chiller yesterday Now my temp is a constant 25-26C :thumbup:

Nice matt, peace of mind at last. Although some of these 'gadgets' are extremely expensive it is well worth it in the long run as it gives you peace of mind and one less thing to worry about on your tank.

Nice matt, peace of mind at last. Although some of these 'gadgets' are extremely expensive it is well worth it in the long run as it gives you peace of mind and one less thing to worry about on your tank.

Expensive in deed, I have got away with the PC fan route in/on my sump. Not really an option for Matt

Yup, just wish this cooler was tiny bit quieter as it's in my bedroom... Oh well, it only comes on about 6 x a day for +-5 mins at a time ;)

Back
Top Bottom