How Fast can one stock up on corals...

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Express Reef, 3 Jan 2012.

1. Express Reef

Express Reef

Good Day All,

I know one must take it slow in this hobby... I just want some input on how fast can one put corals to you setup... What is the waiting period...

Regards,

E.R

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Relborg

Relborg

good question - me tagging along

4. Express Reef

Express Reef Thread Starter

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  5. archiecrain

archiecrain

Whats the rush?

I guess it depends on how ready your tank is and what corals you want.....

I would add slowly to start....just to see how they do before investing in lots that may all succumb to incorrect params....

And remember certain corals are going to use up params such as calcium etc....I would say take it as slow as you can and keep up on the parameter checks as you do so.

6. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Corals dont really add that much to a bioload so they can be stocked farely quickly once the tank is ready for them. This means the cycle needs to be finished and all parameters essential for corals are in check.

Also bare in mind that they want stable parameters and learning to keep things stable only happens over time. This is the other reason to keep things slow.

But corals do need food and that is where the fish come in. You can run a coral only tank but you will have to add some form of food for them.

mandarinman likes this.
  7. Annoying

Annoying

It all depends on the stability of your tank. Some people have baught 30 corals in one go and the they do great. The thing is corals don't give off much waste as they feed manely with photosynthesis so the same rule that applies to fish don't apply to corals. Also you should take into account that softies like zoa's will give off chemicals when newly introduced into the system so these should not be braught in on mass. The best would be to start with just adding 1 or 2 easy corals at a time and see how they go. When they do great for a while (month or more) you can add more at a time.

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Also after ammonia is normal.

And depend on coral type.
    Softies and leathers do not mind a bit of dirty water.

SPS want perfect water conditions. LPS, would also leave them for later.

So, unless you feed some Coral food, then actually as Marius pointed out, after the fish started to poo

9. Annoying

Annoying

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  10. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Nope..... I posted a minute before you :tt2:

11. Gesiggie

Gesiggie Challenge accepted

This is what I enjoy about MASA. so many different viewpoints, yet it all boils down to the same basics.

:thumbup:

Last edited: 3 Jan 2012
  12. mytank

mytank

Also it's not just the amount to add but the size, your water params can be perfect and then you add a huge amount of coral, you start dropping calcium etc and you not sure what to dose. By adding them slowly you can figure out what the consumption is and how to dose.

Don't get into the trap I did with my first tank. I added tons of coral and they were doing so well five months later I need a bigger tank because they grew so quick due to the love and care you put into your tank. Now LPS you can't just trim them back like SPS, so you stuck with them just growing and growing.

Rather take your time figure out where to position the coral how to position then flow, light and be careful of quick growing coral growing and over shadowing corals that need light below it!

13. Express Reef

Express Reef Thread Starter

Thanx 2 everyones input. If started my Tank on the 17th of november 2011, currently I only got one Sailfin Tang with my C.U.C... I know my tank is finished with its cycle(47 days after), and now I want to start to add some soft corals for a start... :thumbup: Did a water change yesterday, tank starting to look good, still a bit :blush: to add pics...

14. Annoying

Annoying

Ok ok you win, this time:lol:

15. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

I agree with what most guys said. If the tank is cycled and running stable for a while then you can add corals a few at a time, but keep monitoring the parameters, especially your ph, kH and calcium balance.
    Take into account what the specific coral needs. Like Riaan mentioned, softies and even LPS corals like a bit of nutrients, but SPS not.
    Some corals will give off chemicals and waste - your skimmer and carbon will help to remove this.
    Remember, in order of importance for most soft and LPS corals - 1. water quality 2. food 3. Lighting

Also, if you should add a suncoral, it needs to be target fed daily and that puts a huge bioload on your setup, they also don't need light. Here was my suncoral - sold it when I sold my cube 4 years ago :(

[​IMG]

16. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

Within two weeks if you are referring to a new setup, even less if you're using mature rock, live sand and mature water. BUT to obtain success within such short periods, you have to know what you are doing,

dallasg likes this.
Recent Posts