"How Expensive Corals are Ruining the Hobby"

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Stanley, 13 Mar 2014.

1. Stanley

Stanley

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jclaas

jclaas

Interesting snow ball effect.

4. shan

shan

Happens here in ZA as well. Have seen this a number of times where a coral comes in at say R500 selling price. Coral is then fragged into 3-4 pieces and then sold for R500 a piece. I do not mind the fragging but then adjust the price accordingly. I would be happy to pay R150 if the original was fragged into 4 pieces but it's wholesale robbery to sell it for R500 a frag.

5. jclaas

jclaas

Or hobbyists buy a colony at a lfs and do the above mentioned.

6. makharold

makharold

Rape

7. Bendor

Bendor

True, but something is only worth what people are willing to pay. Insider knowledge about the cost of the colony pre fragging upsets me too but usually all I know is coral frag X costs R500. If anyone pays that it's obviously worth that amount of money or the buyer is a chump.

Ferraris are probably overpriced as well but they are not going to drop the price to be fair or to make sure we can all park on in our garage.

8. archiecrain

archiecrain

If you dont like the price dont pay it.....vote with you wallet if you dont like it.

I see nothing wrong with it. If prices where to ever become exessive, the market wont pay them and they will come down again.

Supply versus demand

9. shan

shan

The problem is that not everybody is the same. There are many out there with too much money and no idea how to spend it. I have seen guys pay stupid money for something they can sometimes get for almost free.

I will not buy if the price is too much but the playing field is not equal

10. NO3

NO3

Aquarist | Define Aquarist at Dictionary.com

The Seas resources are dwindling and restrictions are becoming tighter and tighter. Corals like trachyphyllia are becoming smaller and smaller every year and i recon 10 years those sort of LPS will be like hens teeth to find! Corals are costing more as collectors now devote more and more resources to Aqua culture which is a hell of alot more expensive than raping the oceans!

What you need to think about when buying a coral is am i helping the sustainability of the hobby and promoting the need for people to invest in aquaculture facilities ensuring my children can share in this awesome hobby or are we simply only interested in ourselves and our wallets and how much we can get today!

90 percent of the time if its too expensive in ones eyes then its best for the coral to stay in the tank at the LFS

11. gaycarlos

gaycarlos

A lot of places put a mark up of more than 100%. one of thos places is Idol Marine. I once bought 2 damsels from them, for R120 each. When I went to return them, they guy said he can give me what they pay, which was R60. Their corals are worse. Even most of their fish. You can get it for less than half of what you pay there.

12. gaycarlos

gaycarlos

you also gotta remember these prices are by the seller and not supplier. yes the supplier price does go up due to foreign exchange, but then its up to local store owners to not rape us hobbyists with the mark up.

Recent Posts