How does a skimmer work?

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers, Mechanical Filtration' started by ladsteel@saol.com, 2 Feb 2012.

1. ladsteel@saol.com

ladsteel@saol.com

Hi!

I bought a 37l Aqaria tank and everything seems to be running fine.

What is the best setting for the skimmer(more open or closed) and what is the difference?

Any help will be appreciated!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Bud @Aquaria-SA are sponsors. Best help might come from them.

But where are my manners. Welcome to MASA.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  4. durleo

durleo

You need to set the skimmer so that the small white bubbles goe half way up the narrow neck portion. If the skimmer is brand new then it will take a few days to break in and start skimming.

[​IMG]

Something similar to this. - It will take some time for you to tweak it and depending on what foods you feed the skimmer might overflow or stop skimming for a while.

Hope this helps somewhat?

regards Duran

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

more closed, and you get dry skimming. A dark rich substrate like smooth baby poo. If you had kids, you will know what I'm saying. If you do not have kids and never had the "pleasure" to swop a nappy. That is what you will find in there one day....

Anyway, more open, and you get wet skimming. A tea like juice. Obvious a wet skim setting will fill the cup a lot faster than dry skimming. And you need to clean it more often to prevent spillage.

6. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

welcome, i hope you enjoy the forum ,

on the skimmer issue its going to be a touch difficult as your system is new (im assuning so as you have just bought it) and you may not get alot of skimmate untill a load is put on the fitration,

but to answer your title question the friction of the air bubbles with water causes proteins to attach to the air bubble which then rises to the surface and pops, the popping bubbles create a head of foam, its worth saying that this foam will dissapear or be interupted and take time to reestablish if your hands have been in the water as the oils from your skin and other factors hinder foam forming.

so when adjustments are made its best to wait an hour or so to see a result.. i would say atmosphereic changes would also be a factor in hindering foam production to an extent but thats another debate.

to skim wet ot dry?

in the early stages id skim a little dry, it will pull out true waste and i would maybe adjust this as per load added to the system at a later stage..

7. ladsteel@saol.com

ladsteel@saol.com Thread Starter

Thanks alot for all the help!
    Appreciate all the replies!

Got in contact with one of the guys from aqaria and he said it should be set to its
    smallest position (intake closed)

will be posting alot more questions in the future lol

Recent Posts