How do you....

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by gMAN, 23 Jun 2011.

1. gMAN

gMAN with the plan

How do you put a value to your setup? Was thinking about this last night and was just wondering....I would take into consideration the time spent over the (few)years jumping hurdles, money spent on food, maintenance, replacing equipment parts etc,etc, age of live stock/corals ie: purchased juvi's and now (healthy) adults....so all things considered, how would you put a price tag on your setup should you decide to sell?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. gMAN

gMAN Thread Starter with the plan

and no...I'm not selling up anytime soon :biggrin:

4. archiecrain

archiecrain

Financialy accept that you are making a flat loss.....:lol:

Take whatever you spent then divide that by 5.....take that answer and divide it by two:(....somepeople cant give their systems away

There is no way you can recover your costs.....and what you percieve is valuable may not be so to anyone else....

Corals are perhaps the only investment

5. archiecrain

archiecrain

And selling individualy may be the only way to get rid of everything....

6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

a lot less than what I tell the non-reefer.... (wife / girlfriend / minister of finance / enter your option here)

7. Tony

Tony

I think there is some money to be made if you sell frags of fast growing corals but the money made is usually negated by the expense in time, effort, electricity and food to grow that coral. If you buy a tiny fish and grow it to a mutant size you could make a few bucks on it but once again the expense in getting it there usually cancels out the profit. On equipment you will always lose money. If you could raise and breed those exotic fish you could probably make a few bucks but that is a full time job

So it comes down to the pure enjoyment of seeing your work bear fruit end enjoying it

8. gMAN

That is how I value my tank most...:thumbup:

So good to know I'm not the only one....:biggrin:

9. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

You can say that again and by A LOT I mean A LOT.

10. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

I would just love to know how the non reefer can not know what stuff costs. Do they not go with you to pet shops? Surely they can see prices of stuff?

But I value mine on what it gives me. Imagine not having your tank? What would you do? I would be absolutely bored out of my skull and be grumpy and what not else. Yes you can add a price to the setup of the system but you cant put a price on the enjoyment.

Last edited: 23 Jun 2011
  11. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Well, to look at it in from another viewpoint .

If I were playing golf. What will a good golf set cost me.... Then I need to buy balls monthly (on my handicap). Green fees every weekend, driving range to practise those skew shots, few beers thereafter... Upgrade to new driver - Big Bertha, or whatever other new must have bling bling attachment. Another golf bag. Or my own golf cart. Needs a trailer....Blah blah blah.

So to put it into perspective, What would I have spend on another "expensive" hobby?

How much joy do I get out of it?

Sure, talking about my tank at the work at vending / coffee machine to other non reefers, seems like I'm a fanatic or lunatic. Same as talking about how good that drive was, or long the put that I almost made.

Difference is, I can enjoy my tank every afternoon. Friends coming over can see what I achieved. Golf, you can only talk about it afterwards. Tank, the evidence is there, in front of all to see and enjoy.

So yes, its expensive, both hobbies. Luckily I only do one of the two. And enjoying it.

12. danimal

danimal

for me this is a hobby, and all hobbies cost money. i knew when i got into it that I wouldn't see my money again - this is an investment in lifestyle, not finances.

the thing with all hobiees is that they take time, and cost money. the question is how much is the reward worth? for me every cent.

13. danimal

danimal

the other thing is that non-reefers don't understand that it actually is a hobby. when most people see my tank they're like 'oh cool, what a nice decoration to have in your lounge'... but we all know this is no mere decoration! when you try and explain maintenance etc and that you actually get joy out of working on the tank... people think I'm nuts

14. gMAN

I could not have said it better, haven't touched my clubs since Nov'09;)

15. gMAN

I dont explain anymore, especially that it's a coral and not a plant:p

16. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

The words special or discount is often used. You buy the expensive stuff when the wifes not around and the cheaper stuff when she is. Problem solved.lol. She knows its expensive tho. But putting a rand value to your tank is difficult.that's how you get around the minister of finance.non reefer. I also think that its impossible to get most of your money back when you sell but think of all the enjoyment its given you. Its impossible to put an accurate price tag to your setup. All I know its money well spend and don't regret ever getting into this hobby. Some addictions cost a whole lot more then ours.lol. At least we've got something to show for it. Our setups: PRICELESS.

Last edited: 23 Jun 2011
  17. gMAN

:thumbup::thumbup:

18. Tremayn

Tremayn

lol according to my folks, I only spent like R3000 on everything and my purple tang was R200 :lol:

19. rakabos

rakabos

Well

Here is my take on it. Hardware is like cars, when u buy them new and sell them 2nd hand u lose about 50-70% of the value so you can roughly calculate that.

fish and coral, well you can see what they go for on the forum, so that will show you how much its all worth. Be interesting to see a few guys post the sums of their estimated tank values in this thread. For me money spent on zoas is probably 10k+ and would i be able to sell it for that, no, but give it time to grow and make frags, then yes, easily :)

20. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

21. gMAN

So how about you guys post an estimate of what you think you spent on your setup?
    I'll go first...
    Probably touching the 70k mark over the years with all the trial and errors...:whistling:

Recent Posts