How do you mount your corals?

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hi guys, got a few questions for you

1. How do you mount your corals?
2. Do you mount them with the "base" or without?
3. With what?

Most of my corals are still loose on their "base", but if they get bigger they'll become top heavy and fall over.
I don't want to remove my live rock from the water to mount them and disturb everything. Need your advice please guys.

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
If it is loose in the base, then remove it, otherwise get some putty (it's called miliput in the UK - somebody here will give you the local brew) mould it and mount it to the base of your coral, then place it where you want it.
If you are not sure where to place it, you can mount most corals using an elastic band or small lump of live rock, until you find the best spot for it

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks, let's hear what the guys here says about that putty.

Kanga

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
i think if you start mounting coral you are taking the hobby to far its actually sick!! shame on all of you
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Milli put in civilization is pratleys putty original

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Ok, had a bit of a tidy up, keep the chat somewhere close to the topic:)

Pratleys putty - that's the one, but keep your hands dry when moulding it and do most of the shaping outside the tank, even though it is reefsafe, you don't watn to make the water cloudy.

As an aside, a bloke in the UK used too much in one go, wiped his tank, so be careful.

palmerc

Chromis
Reaction score
For softies I like mounting them on live rock pieces (around palm size). I usually use cotton thread and a needle to attach them to the rock.

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
For softies I like mounting them on live rock pieces (around palm size). I usually use cotton thread and a needle to attach them to the rock.
Will this AquaMend work on softies underwater if you get one that is not attached to a frag mount/base?