How do you know if you're tank is mature enough for a mandarin?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Radies, 15 Oct 2014.

1. Radies

Radies

Hi guys, I want a mandarin but don't know if my tank is mature enough and or big enough to host one. I got a 500 liter system. And the live stock and liverock I got inside are all from 3 of my boyu tl550 tanks that I had for 1year, 7 months and 2 months respectively. Is there any visible signs that I can look for?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

You need to have lots of pods.
    Look at night with a torch and see how many are crawling around

4. tekkengal

tekkengal Moderator

Hi @Radies
    What other fish are in the tank?
    Would you be able to train the mandarin to eat frozen foods?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  5. Radies

Radies Thread Starter

I only have two clowns a sandsifting goby and 1 chromis. If I know how to train him I can give it a go?

6. Radies

Radies Thread Starter

I saw some when I was moving the live rock to their new home, but not sure if they are enough

7. tekkengal

tekkengal Moderator

I normally train my fish in another tank (a smaller nano) with no other fish in it. Basically I buy live brine and feed it that for a day or so. Then I start mixing some frozen brine in (use the gut loaded/supershrimp), about 10% at first then increasing it to 100% frozen over the course of a few days. Normally they get used to the frozen fairly quickly with this method but it also depends on the fish. Once it eats the frozen shrimp, also train it to eat other types, like mysis, krill, marine mix etc. If you are lucky, you can also get it to eat pellet foods but I have not succeeded in this area.

8. VicZA

VicZA

Interesting approach .... I feed my brine shrimp into the main tank. Not sure if the Mandarin gets to all of them or not but I see him pecking away feverishly all day and he is still nice an fat ... so I hope he does. Mine doesn't touch any other food .... if only I had another tank, I could try this - great idea !!

Last edited: 15 Oct 2014
  9. ziguri

ziguri

Apparently you need a decent amount of live rock, with a tank that has been running for a few months at least. I plan on building a refugium beforeave to worry i get a mandarin.. you can breed pods in there, so you dont have to worry about running out of pods. Apparently some can be trained to eat frozen foods etc and i have even seen a video of one that eats krill gel.. but i would not rely on that tbh..

You can also buy live copepds in a bottle which can be used to breed them as well. Just search the web about breeding copepds and you will find many ideas ;)

10. Radies

Radies Thread Starter

Thanks a lot guys, going to try and see if I can get one to learn to eat frozen foods!

11. Papitto

Papitto

Sorry to jack this thread. I'm also interested in getting a mandarin. I have been told my tank isn't mature enough, only 2 months.
    I have thousands of pods swarming my tank, sump etc. So many that they it looks like my substrate is moving constantly.
    I have 3 types, larger amphipods up to 10mm in length - even more copepods up to 4mm in length (seriously taken over) - tinier pods I don't recognize, but greater population that the other pods. They seem to grow in population very fast.

So, why can't I get a mandarin?

I have 2 ocellaris only, 1 blue legged hermit, 1 turbo snail. Cheato in my sump

12. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

as long as you do not get other food competition. Plus depending on the size of your tank. Pods swarming all over in a TL550 will not last long enough. But in a 4 foot that would be OK.

13. Papitto

Papitto

5ft about 520L?

14. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

With enough liverock in the display, a 5foot should be able to support a mandarin.

15. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

If your Mandarin is eating frozen brine shrimp, he will be fine too. Mature tank is best, I never sell Mandarins to people that don't have a tank younger than a year.

Last edited: 26 Oct 2014
  16. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

you mean older than a year ;)

17. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

18. Reaper

Reaper

Hey guys, it's been years since I was active on this site, due to not having a tank anymore (but fixing that situation at the moment... lol)

I had a mandarin in my 5ft, it ate frozens easily, and it was healthy and fat. They are actually hardy little fish. Even after my tank got nuked by accident (ammonia poisoning) the clowns and mandarin was the only ones to survive...

I got mine after my tank was a year old, so I would recommend an established tank also.

Recent Posts