How do you keep the black back sump glass of your Boyu clean?

Reaction score
I have Caroline algae growing on my black back glass (its not glass, but the back panel separating the sump and the tank) and its not easy to scrap off. When it grows on the glass its no problem, but the back panel poses a particular problem regarding the cleaning of it. It has a rough coating on it which makes the Caroline algae particularly hard to scrap off.

Is there any way to make this easier to clean?

Last edited:

RiaanP

Reaction score
Just leave it. Will be food for snails and urchins. Although I think a TL550 is too small to maintain a urchin, unless you can get yourself a really small short spine.

Reaction score
I ended up using a tank scraper with an acrylic blade on instead of the steal blade. I just removed it as I didn't like the look. But like guys are saying you can just leave it.

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice. I would start with the acrylic blade and see how that turns out. I could just picture the urchin with my corals on its back. I will leave that as the last option.

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice. I would start with the acrylic blade and see how that turns out. I could just picture the urchin with my corals on its back. I will leave that as the last option.
I have had a long spined sea urchin in my tank before. AWESOME addition. Never used to knock my corals. Just stayed on my glass

RiaanP

Reaction score
Tuxedo urchin will carry your corals around.

Short spine will not. Plenty of those in the rockpools in Natal. I would stay away from a long spine in a nano tank. You will get stung, multiple times, every time you stick your hand into the tank.
Like these

Reaction score
I love my urchin. Never a problem for 3 years now. He scours those rocks of hair algae folding his spines down as he travels as not to knock anything over/down. My hermit is way more destructive.

Reaction score
Just leave it. Will be food for snails and urchins. Although I think a TL550 is too small to maintain a urchin, unless you can get yourself a really small short spine.
Sorry to post on an old thread, but do you know how fast a longspine urchin grows? I can get one that is tiny - probably a 20c coin size, but I know they get big, so don’t want to buy it just to have a hassle in a few months. If it takes a few years it won’t be a problem, can then swop him for a small one again.

Update: I’ve just read @RiaanP ’s earlier response about a longspine in a nano.

Last edited:

RiaanP

Reaction score
I got a small shorts spine in a TL550. They do not grow fast. More than 2 years and diameter is still less than a R5 coin.

Top Bottom