How do you feed your frozen foods?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by viper357, 14 May 2013.

1. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

This is how I feed my frozen foods.

First: Take the food out of the deep freeze and allow to defrost for a short while, I use a digital timer for a reminder as this is as common as forgetting to turn off your RO machine :p. If the kitchen is cold then a 5 minute defrost is plenty, or if it's a very hot day and the kitchen is also hot then 2 or 3 minutes is plenty, you don't want to fully defrost, just enough so that the blocks slip out of the blister packs easily. I spent many days breaking fingernails and hurting my finger tips before I learned to do a short defrost first.:blush: Those blocks are really hard to get out when fully frozen...

[​IMG]

Here are my feeding utensils: a dirty sideplate and a rusty knife.

[​IMG]

My next step: Put all of the blocks on one side of the plate.

[​IMG]

Then, place the knife under one edge of the plate and rest the plate on top of the knife so that it is angled down and the food is sitting on the highest part of the plate.

[​IMG]

Wait about half an hour for the food to defrost (put timer on again ;)) then when you get back you will find this, the blocks are fully defrosted and all those nasty juices (apparently?) have collected at the bottom of the plate.

[​IMG]

A gentle tip into the sink gets rid of all the juice, be careful the foods don't slip down and off the plate into the plughole.:whistling:

[​IMG]

And that's it, straight into the tank to the hungry fishies.

So that's how I do mine, how do you feed yours? Post some pics. :D

Last edited: 14 May 2013
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. WarrenElvis

WarrenElvis

Interesting way of doing it. But the question is how bad are those nasty juices. For me i just let it defrost in some tank water for 2 mins then using a spoon , mash it against side of container to loosen it up then pour straight into tank. But it nows has me thinking. My thoughts are that the frozen food was sitting in those juices, so if the juice is not clean and good well then so is the food. Like to hear other thoughts on it as well. But yeah thanks @viper357 , will try your method tonight:)

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  4. pixel

pixel

Honestly i have been feeding like this for years, straining etc.

Then when i had the cube, i threw in the frozen blocks as is for months on end (Mysis only, no brine). Never lost a single creature in the tank.

I think the issue is if u trust your source. If this is allowed to thaw and re-freeze i wouldnt ever use it, but you can tell if it happened by looking at the cubes in the packaging

Flame away

5. jaquesdp08

jaquesdp08

i just throw it in and whatch them eat :)

6. jimilutz

jimilutz

I just defrost the blocks in tank water and pour it all in. It seemed counter intuitive to remove the small stuff just to go and add reef snow, phytoplankton and zooplankton to make small stuff again.

7. viper357

viper357 Thread Starter Admin MASA Contributor

Well, I don't know, everybody says that the juices are full of phosphates and will fuel nuisance algae growth, which does make sense to me, maybe there's an article about it from a reputable scientist floating around on the internet somewhere?

8. yuma girl

yuma girl

Thats very interesting..

I use a container that i put asside just for my fishies, and i put two frozen blocks of food in there ( i alternate - one day mysis, one day krill, one day super shrimp, and once a week i also add in spirulina , phytoplankton and some garlic) i then add a little of the tank water to assist in the melting process and i suck the mix up into my baster and feed it to the fishies and some of my corals too... :p

now im thinking that i shouldn't mix all the juices in... hmmm

would be interested to see everyone else's methods! :thumbup:

9. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

Great write up Dean thanks:thumbup:

I thaw mine in RO then strain it.

10. WarrenElvis

WarrenElvis

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
    viper357 likes this.
  11. viper357

Excellent, thanks for that Warren. So I speed read through that quickly and what stood out for me was that flake foods have a serious amount of more phosphates than frozen foods.:eek: Also these comments stood out:
    So I've been doing it wrong all these years, lol. Now to find that bugger that told me I was killing my tank by putting the juices in. :p So it would seem if you have sufficient phosphate removal methods in place then it would seem there is no need whatsoever to rinse/drain the juices from frozen foods. Just goes to show, read, read, read, listen, RESEARCH YOURSELF, then decide for yourself what is the right way to do it.;)

Last edited: 26 Nov 2015
  12. Perky Pets

Perky Pets Sponsor

I do mine like this...and you did ask for pics :p

A 2 second dip in your tank or under the tap will allow the frozen foods to drop out easily.
    [​IMG]

Use your aquarium water to defrost the foods so that the food doesn't have a unfamiliar oder :whistling:
    [​IMG]

Once the frozen foods are defrosted
    [​IMG]

We pour it out into a net to keep only the nutritional food , not the "Blood " and broken cell walls ect.
    [​IMG]

I gently squeeze some of the left over water out without squashing the food itself...
    [​IMG]

put the blob into a new container
    [​IMG]

Choose the additive I want to use...
    [​IMG]

let the dryish food soak up the meds...
    [​IMG]

and feed.
    [​IMG]

Works for me :peroni:

13. pixel

pixel

I'd be carefull to say rinsing is a waste of time.

Rinsing it IS a better idea than not rinsing it. Depends on how neurotic you are I suppose

14. viper357

Maybe, but what about the thought process that the juices are food for your corals? Is there anything nutritional in those juices?

Thanks Perky Pets, nice method. :thumbup:

Last edited: 10 Jun 2014
  15. WarrenElvis

WarrenElvis

16. pixel

pixel

Well like ive said ive never had issues not rinsing it. I have heard stories of dodgy Brine causing wipe outs, but i dont think those were ever really proven.

I think if frozen blocks ever caused major issues, we would have had reports of it on MASA?

17. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

I used to thaw mine in RO and then strain it. I then rinsed it with little bit of tank water in the strainer before feeding, just to flush out access juices.
    I agree if you have a big setup with good filtration, phosphate and other nutrient removal methods, I wouldn't worry too much, especially if you have a lot of filter feeders like tube worms,etc.
    But if you have a nano with basic filtration and don't like to do regular maintenance and/or water changes, I would watch those nutrient levels...or watch some algae grow. It won't happen now, it will bite you later.

18. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I defrost 5 or 6 cubes in half a plastic cup of tankwater.
    And later when I do remember about the cup again, I dump it in. No straining.

19. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I just hate that little pieces of foil, that sometimes just make it into the cup as well. Couple of days later you see this shinning little thing on your sand, in a wedge, where no hand can go in, and the grab tools too straight to get to it. Now, I do make double sure that I got them all.

20. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

I defrost in some RO Water..in a tea strainer..then strain.. and then soak in a few drops of Vitazin...Multi-vitamins...
    [​IMG]

I err on the side of caution..I'm not going to sit and wait for someone to prove or dis-prove the "toxcidity" of the "juices"..if there is no basis, then fine, if there is..then Tank Heavens I rinsed..
    http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/showthread.php?t=19650

21. viper357

Anybody else feed their fish? Post pics :D

Recent Posts