How do you connect ATO to JoJo RO container?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by gaboon, 1 Dec 2009.

1. gaboon

gaboon

How do I go about plumbing and wiring this? Container is 260L and will be outside. I'm drilling through a wall for plumbing and wiring.

I've got the reef octo auto top up kit, what is the best, most reliable pump should I upgrade to and how do I connect it to the float switch?

Thanks!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I done the same this weekend.

• I got a SAGA level controller with 2 float switches.
    • Used 10 meter flexible fuel line hose. Thinner and cheaper.
    • A small 500L/h fountain pump.
    • A 10 meter power cord.
    Issues I got.
    • Make sure that the drum outside is not higher that the point where the water enter the system. Else you will syphon the drum outside. So put the pipe in your overflow if needed. Ensure that the end is not underwater else it will also syphon either your fish tank or the RO tank.
    • Smaller that 500L/h pumps cannot push 10 meter. I tried a 360L/h but it did not work.
    • Too big a pump will fill the sump too fast. Possible flooding when something gets stuck.
    The SAGA controller is nice. You can set it to only pump for 1, 2 or 3 minutes. If is did not reach the full float switch, an alarm goes and it switches off. Thereby preventing flooding the tank with RO, there by preventing the ATO to chang your SW tank into a freshwater tank.

4. gaboon

gaboon Thread Starter

Thanks RiaanP, great info, I've still got time to change my order so will rather go for the horizontal container. Did you drill your container and use a bulkhead?

5. keyaam

keyaam

Im currently busy with my ATO and im using a 60 litre drum for RO and a stockman valve. So the ATO is gravity

6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

drilled 13mm hole above the waterline just under the lid, the fuel line hose goes very tight through that. I believe it will be watertight. Pushed enough through so that the pump can lie on the floor of the drum. Lid is loose enough so that the power cord goes between lid and drum.

Recent Posts