How do yo know LR is cured and safe to use

Reaction score
Hi

I have decided to add more LR to my tank and buildup a current open area I have.

I started my tank using three pieces of LR and used dead LR (funny name) to auquascape the rest. I have a stash of coral skeletons that I use for this.

I have however been amazed at the diversity I gained by the little bits of (live) LR attached to the corrals that have added, so want to build this new bit with live LR.

How do I know that the LR i buy as cured from a dealer are really cured and will not trigger a cycle in my tank. Having a 90l nano, even a "small" cycle can be serious.

PS. No, I do not have a separate tank I can cure/leave them in.

If you are uncertain,you can always place the LR in a drum with a powerhead.Do regular water changes in it and keep an eye on Amonia,Nitrites and phosphates :)

Last edited:
Test for Amonia to check the die off, You can also smell if its cured or not. If its not cured it will smell like rotten eggs...

You will need a foodsafe container a powerhead and a heater to finish the curing at home, then it can cycle to it's heart's content without you worrying about your nano :)

You will need a foodsafe container a powerhead and a heater to finish the curing at home, then it can cycle to it's heart's content without you worrying about your nano :)

Sneaky idea. My family now knows that quarantine tanks becomes second tanks so I have a moratorium on that.

But I can setup a small cycle tank in a 10l tank (coral is not safe in food containers), perhaps a RIO light, and a shrimp or two...

:slayer:

Some shop owners may take exseption to me doing a amonia test on their tank :nono:
I don`t see why they should I always test the shops water befor I buy .Just test for Nitrite there should be no trace.

Sneaky idea. My family now knows that quarantine tanks becomes second tanks so I have a moratorium on that.

But I can setup a small cycle tank in a 10l tank (coral is not safe in food containers), perhaps a RIO light, and a shrimp or two...

:slayer:

Good thinking that man:lol:

Back
Top Bottom