How do yo know LR is cured and safe to use

Reaction score
Hi

I have decided to add more LR to my tank and buildup a current open area I have.

I started my tank using three pieces of LR and used dead LR (funny name) to auquascape the rest. I have a stash of coral skeletons that I use for this.

I have however been amazed at the diversity I gained by the little bits of (live) LR attached to the corrals that have added, so want to build this new bit with live LR.

How do I know that the LR i buy as cured from a dealer are really cured and will not trigger a cycle in my tank. Having a 90l nano, even a "small" cycle can be serious.

PS. No, I do not have a separate tank I can cure/leave them in.

Reaction score
Test for Amonia to check the die off, You can also smell if its cured or not. If its not cured it will smell like rotten eggs...

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
You will need a foodsafe container a powerhead and a heater to finish the curing at home, then it can cycle to it's heart's content without you worrying about your nano :)

Reaction score
You will need a foodsafe container a powerhead and a heater to finish the curing at home, then it can cycle to it's heart's content without you worrying about your nano :)
Sneaky idea. My family now knows that quarantine tanks becomes second tanks so I have a moratorium on that.

But I can setup a small cycle tank in a 10l tank (coral is not safe in food containers), perhaps a RIO light, and a shrimp or two...

:slayer:

Reaction score
Some shop owners may take exseption to me doing a amonia test on their tank :nono:
I don`t see why they should I always test the shops water befor I buy .Just test for Nitrite there should be no trace.

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Sneaky idea. My family now knows that quarantine tanks becomes second tanks so I have a moratorium on that.

But I can setup a small cycle tank in a 10l tank (coral is not safe in food containers), perhaps a RIO light, and a shrimp or two...

:slayer:
Good thinking that man:lol: