How do u frag Pincusion

Discussion in 'Fragging Corals' started by Arries, 13 Jul 2011.

1. Arries

Arries

Hey all...I got a massive pincusion that I need 2 shrink or sumting as its getting WAY 2 big 4 my tank...Can they be fragged and will the fragged pieces grow again??Any help or advice will be very much appreciated...

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

They frag pretty easily. You will need a Stanly blade(to cut), some goggles and gloves(for protection), and some iodine(to make sure everything is steriel).... thats what i used in the past.

How would you like to cut it to make it smaller? got a picture of the pin cushion?

4. Arries

Arries Thread Starter

Hey ok I don't have a pic at the moment...but yes I need 2 get her abit smaller and would like 2 grow more frags coz I'm startn 2 new tanks soon and would like 2 put some in there 2...will they grow or does the pieces u cut off die?I will upload a pic 2nite when I'm home...any spacific angle ur looking for?she is big...would say about 25x25cm when she is relaxed and fully open....:)

5. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  6. Arries

Arries Thread Starter

@JsPLAYn yes it is but it grew even more...she is a stunning thing...and no I wount sell her 4 anythin...way 2 nice 2 get rid of her...sorry man...;)

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  7. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Pin cushions are one of the easiest corals to frag, pretty much any piece of the coral that you cut off will grow again.

If you are wanting to reduce the size of the head you can simply cut a ring around the outer edge of say 5cm's or whatever width you want, just like peeling an orange really, then take the ring you have just cut off and cut it into smaller pieces, put them in a low flow area on some live rock rubble, after a week or two they will have attached and you will then have some nice mini pin cushions frags that you could sell after a month or two. Have a look in the fragging forum, there are a couple of threads about fragging pincushions, should give you some good idea's.

8. Arries

Arries Thread Starter

Ok so there is nothn special involved?sould I trim in in the water or take it out...and sould I move and touch it till it retracts all its 'tenticals' befor I cut it or how...I'm still kinda new and it would be my 1st time that I frag something so in nervous...LOL...but thanx for the info sofar...:thumbup:

9. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Let it retract before cutting.

10. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Agreed, and if you are going to be cutting a fair amount of it off, which it sounds like you will be, then best to do it out of the tank and in a bucket of tank water, reason being is the coral is going to slime-up, and a LOT of it too if it's a big cut. So cut it in the bucket, leave it for 20 minutes or so to release all the slime, take it out and hold it upside down to let all the slime drip off, don't rub it off though, just let the majority of it drop off, then put it back into the tank.

Also have a look at our video directory , there are a couple of videos on fragging a toadstool/leather that should help, click on the 'fragging' category on the left.

11. Arries

Arries Thread Starter

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Hey here is some pics of my beauty...:p

Recent Posts