How do i move my aquarium + LS?

Discussion in 'uncategorised' started by Kavir, 27 Jul 2009.

1. Kavir

Kavir

Greetings reefers
    Probably within the next month or few days i'l be moving back to secunda. MP. Now i need to know How will i transport everything (i alreay have the transport), the trip will be about 2hr slow drive coz the roads are k@k. Now How do url suggest i do everything once i've reached my destination, what's the procedure, although it's gona be almost impossible to transport a 1000l of water. How much of it would i need to transport in order to put my live stock in once the tank is fully set up? Plz ask if url need more info. I also have a spare +\-50l fresh water tank.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Warr7207

Warr7207

Sorry to say this, but your best bet, is sell off your LS and start a new cycle in MP.

If you try do this type of transfer you will kill all your fish and most of your sensitive corals.

The problem is your LR is going to have so much die off, that the new setup is going to be toxic for LS for a good few weeks.

The only way you get around this is to contain all LS including LR into temperature controlled containers and have 1000L SW ready and waiting on the other side.

Basically you are going do a 100% WC

Good Luck, you have some serious decisions to make.

4. Jaak

Jaak

I agree with Warr... Tough decision to make..

5. Kavir

Kavir Thread Starter

Yoh...there must be a second option:-(. I really dont want to sell anythin off

6. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Warr is right...

7. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

Afraid Warr is right....... the other option is to get someone to host the LS for 6 weeks while your setup cycles.......

8. MikeMck

MikeMck

Deep end

Yes you are jumping into the deep end here:(

If you really want to move it all with you, ask Shawn at Pet Stop. I know they moved a customers tank (1300 liter) successfully a few weeks ago, It took them 2 days!!!!:p

9. Kavir

Kavir Thread Starter

Ok lettin some1 house it for me will be an option but then they'l have a bio load to worry abt. Reason i dont want to sell is coz there's No local suppliers in the area nearest would be in boksburg. Ah man, jst So much on my mind i cant think clearly. Eish...

10. Kavir

Kavir Thread Starter

Lol i bet that must of cost a arm and a leg. But i'l pop in there 2moro.

11. SCOOBY

SCOOBY SCOOBY

Hi there.I have moved my 4ft from Richards bay to JHB.I know it is not 1000L!!It took me 11 hrs from start to stop with 6 fish and 30 kg live rock and 10 corals.I had lost not a thing.It is 3 years later and all is good.So i think it can be done... Just plan well

12. chikaboo

chikaboo

Hey Kavir your other option is to use a 1000ltr water tank to move your old water with you - you more than welcome to use mine and I'm sure Ive seen a reefer or 2 up Secunda and Standerton way they can house the LS for you untill your tank settles - you also welcome house some LS by me I have spare tanks running already (waiting for the right fishies to come along and at a luck - Secunda not so far from Newcastle you know!

13. Kavir

Kavir Thread Starter

Did u have another tank cycling in Jhb b4 hand or u just set the existing tank?

14. Kavir

Kavir Thread Starter

Thanks chicka u a star, i'l keep u in mind, but at this time newcastle will have to be a last option for me. Any idea whats the price on a septic tank or any plastic tank to house the water? Think if i transport it during a sunny day i'l have a problem wit the temp?

15. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Do your move in two weekends or 2 days.
    First get a big tub or two, and move enough water to fill them, with your LR and corals and softies, no fish on first weekend. Remember to take along heaters and circulating pumps. If you got T5 unit, just place it accross the tub. There prepare replacement water in other tank or container or tubs enough water for 60% volume.

Second take fish in cooler boxes, put piece of LR in there as well, they will stress less. Use battery airpumps close the lid. Take enough water to be able to fill the tank at the other side with the water you already have there in the tubs with the corals and LR to 50%.

After you loaded your tank, put a small battery pump or airpump in the sump to circulate ONLY the sump and to keep DSB alive. Can even refill DT to 10cm after you loaded it. Remember the DT will have waves because of car movement. As well as the sump, but sump should be less.

Other side, empty DT again, put tank in place and refill with the water that was in DT while moving. Put half of the water that came with display with half of water the LR and corals are in into DT. Put LR and corals in, and fill with rest of water. Tank should be now at about 50%. Fill with the fresh salt water made previous week. Let everything stand for 30minutes to 1 hour, to settle. Can in this time put the fish in bags and acclimatise them. In this time get everything else connected, heaters first.

After all of this, you should have another 10% new water left to do a water change the next day. Next day prepare another batch of water for 10% water changes per day for a week.

Also
    Keep your shrimps separate from each other. Use as many cooler boxes you can get.

16. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Anf if you do want to do it on one day, and you plan to take along as much water as possible. Please do NOT LOAD EVERYTHING on one bakkie and or trailer.

1000L water is one ton, your bakkie will already be overloaded. Plus DT cabinet sump everything is easily another half ton or more.

17. chikaboo

chikaboo

Great advice from Riaan there Kavir - just one more thing if transporting water you MUST fill your container to their max or you will have a VERY NASTY trip even worse a serious accident! The water must no get a chance to sway around or will create enough turbulence to capsize the vehicle you using - I've been transporting my water from Durbs some 400km's at a time but adhere to this important rule and you shouldnt have a problem

18. Kavir

Kavir Thread Starter

Thanks for the info guys. I love the idea of the tub.

Ok this is the plan now. Tell me if it'l work.

All the moving wit my tank and all my things from the flat and restaurant will be done in 1day, wit 2 bakkies 1 trailer makin about 4 trips each bakkie.
    1 bakkie will be doing the tanks moving with the smaller items that can go.

So trip 1; take LR*(70%), water, corals. Heaters, skimmer, power heads. Lights.
    Ok the water will be transported in drums and buckets. I have a spare tank about 50l could i put the fish in there (2x maroons 4cm, 2x clarki 4cm, 1x ocellularis, 1x yellow tail damsel 3cm, 1x dotty back 4cm, 1yellow head goby 8cm, 1x blue face angel 6cm.)
    Till i've filled the dt and temp is right for acclimating? The sump will connect to to small tank So there wont be a delay wit the sump been last, or i could take my small 1000l/phr and let it circulate.

Trip 2.(i should of been able to organise 300l salt water for a water change once the dt arrives on the final trip) More water as much as i can store about 300l and gravel and lr.

Trip 3, more water and lr (if all has not been taken from trip 2)

Final trip tank stand, and if any water is left over.

Once the tank is set up could i add in 70% of all the water it've transported and then the new 300l salt water.

19. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Keep the fish in the dark, cover the tank with a blanket. Keep piece of LR in there as well. Will stress less.

Do you have a DSB. Take note, this thing is heavy. Worst thing to move.
    If you can not pick it up properly, put strong plank on a skateboard and put DSB sump on that. Roll it then out the house.

20. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Use another big cooler box or two, and put halve the fish in there. Oxygen will NOT last if they are all together.

this is a FULL DAY JOB.

21. Kavir

Kavir Thread Starter

No dsb. But once i move im gona convert the sump to a dsb and add 10cm sand bed to the dt as well. In the dsb it's jst filter floss and small lr. Should the fish be in the dark during transport or wen im puttin them in the smaller tank?

Recent Posts