How do I help this zoo recover? Bleached?

Reaction score
I got some zoo's about 2 months back, one was completely white when i put it into my tank. I've read this is called coral bleaching.

Why did this particular zoo bleach, when the other ones were fine? All others are bright and fully opened and growing.

This guy has developed a slight bit of orange but nothing major, still very white:
55547f2a2951bc32.jpg

Is there anything I can do to help it recover? Will it ever recover?

Reaction score
Corals can expell their zooxanthellae for various reasons:
Lack of nutrients,
excessive light,
insufficient light
excessive temperature,
predation

To speed up recovery, knowing the cause would help.....
However, there are various ways of encouraging repopulation of zooxanthellae:

Move the polyps away from direct light (i.e. not directly under halides) but ensure that they still recieve light. Bottom of tank under HO T5 should be fine.

Increase nutrients available to the polys, i.e. FEED THEM!

I would do this by switching off flow and placing fine or liquid food over the polyps whilst covering it with a cut of plastic bottle top.

Furthermore, dosing of amino acida will help as well.

Keep a close eye on nutrient levels in tank, as overfeeding will increase them.

Reaction score
Same happened to mine. I removed them from the main tank, and a couple days later I saw a nasty little worm running around on the LR where the Z's were. Shrimp took care of it, placed them back and now they doing great again. Seem to be very hardly little guys, cause mine were looking terrible.

Reaction score
Reaction score
Same happened to mine. I removed them from the main tank, and a couple days later I saw a nasty little worm running around on the LR where the Z's were. Shrimp took care of it, placed them back and now they doing great again. Seem to be very hardly little guys, cause mine were looking terrible.
I've noted that I have some bristle worms in the same area as my zoas - do you think this can be a problem later on...?

Reaction score
My Zoas or Palys or what ever they called, eat like venus fly traps, soon as food hits them they close and bye-bye brine, krill etc.

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not entirely convinced that they are zoas, are they all on the same base (then sun coral would be my guess) or individually stuck to the live rock?

Reaction score
all on same base... perhaps I should try put it in a shady area? Was given as a gift from a fellow reefer. told me they were zoos?

Reaction score
Wee-man: Ive always thought they were just too small for sun corals... hmm

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
If, and only if, they are they prefer shade to light and need target feeding. The reason i believe they are not zoas is because zoas are single animals (all on separate bases) and sun corals are on a collective base - essentially one animal with many mouths.

Reaction score
I am having a similar problem with my zoas - but only on two clumps, the rest are doing really well! because they're all on the same rock I cant remove the sick ones to put them lower down - what do you guys reckon? Just try target feeding them more?

Reaction score
lol, a bit of sarcasm there jacques? :)
naggg JB has it spot on and almost never does sarcasm and is giving you good advice, just keeping them going is all you need, zoas are basically bullet proof and they should come back but a little help with feeding is good as they have lost the zooxanthella so no symbiotic feeding, thus they need food before they can grow those back and feed themselves:)

Reaction score
I too have some bleached zoas.
i dont target feed them but i do feed quite a bit of coral food to the tank

about 12ml per day, mixture of marine snow and zooplankton. (turn off skimmer when i do)

I have seen an improvement, just taking a looooong time to get anywhere.

should i be target feeding them?