how do i get rid GHA quickly

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by toppdogg, 8 Feb 2010.

1. toppdogg

toppdogg

hey guys having a prob with GHA
    i dont have a po4 test kit getting one soon
    i have built a scubber been running for about 3 weeks now and has not helped with problem need some advice please

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. inflames

inflames

Hi Toppdogg,

GHA can be caused by PO4 in the water column. Some more info on your system would help. Do you run a skimmer? Do you have live rock? How long has your system been running? What do you feed and how often? what inhabitants are in the tank? It is a bit hard to say what exactly is causing the GHA. I added some additional live rock to my system after a year and had an algae bloom...this is because of the PO4 being released from the live rock and causing the outbreak..it can also be a very common cycling ourbreak...just everything coming into equelibrium and settling down!

4. maj

maj

Do po4 testing,then cutback abit if u overfeeding,then increase redox,add an airstone in ur sump or DT.Get an anti phos just to initially drop the po4,but try to find the source of it!

5. Raven

Raven

What is your kh?

I had a algea problem for a long time!
    I just could not understand why, as I had 2 DSB, 2 skimmers and an algea scrubber installed at that time.
    The normal readings that one would check for an algea problem was all ok.
    That is for Nitrates, phoshates ect...(all 0)

I'm not saying that you should not test for the above, I'm just saying look at your kh as well...

Our local LFS (Ernst from the Vis Dam) told me that I must check my Kh levels.
    My kh was sitting between 4-5 at that time.

Once I've pushed that up to 7.5 or so my algea started to disappear. I still sit with VERY LITTLE algea in my tank...So that helped me ALOT!!

6. Midasblenny

Midasblenny

Liquid Phosphate remover from Pure Reef will eliminate any residual phos resulting in no food for the algae and subsequent death of the GHA, speak to the sponsors for purchasing.

7. charlv

charlv

I'm with Raven on this one yes check your kh

8. inflames

inflames

Hi Guys,

As far as KH is concerned, I am sure that Cyno (red slime algae) growth is retarded by high Alkilinity, and increasing oxygen levels, not GHA?!?! GHA is directly linked to PO4 in the system!
    Almost no point in testing for PO4 as the reading will probably be low or acceptable because the GHA is consuming the PO4 and that's why it is growing so much! Only when the GHA starts to pull back growth, can one say that the PO4's in the system have been eliminated! Pure Reef PO4 Remover will most certainly help and is probably the best fix for the problem for now!

9. Warr7207

Warr7207

10. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

on 3 weeks, your scrubber just started to work. Or maybe it is still undeveloped.
    At least, if everything for the scrubber is correctly setup, flow, lights, distance between lights and screen, size of screen, then the first 2 weeks will be "wasted" to seed the scrubber. Remember, it is something that needs to grow, it needs to establish a good algae footprint on the screen.

Like everything else in marines - PATIENCE.
    If your scrubber is setup correctly, expect from week 6 (maybe 4 if you lucky) that it will be fully operational.

And do know this bit. Even with good growth on my own scrubber, I still have some algae growing on my back glass. And my cheato ball is also still growing. So not even mine is 100%. If it was my cheato should be dying.

11. toppdogg

toppdogg Thread Starter

shot for the replies guys will deffs get some po4 remover but first test kit to see what it is sitting on

12. mandarinman

mandarinman

think i will run some regenerable phos media in my new system right from the beginning as a preventative measure to prevent stuff sneaking up on me( i have phobias lol)

13. Andreas

Andreas

PO4 testkits are a waste of money IMHO:whistling:They are expensive and wont give you a very good indication of phophate levels in your tank because the PO4 could be trapped in the rock and fuel the algea. Rather learn to read your tank visually by looking at livestock, the slightest signs of algea etc.

I would run a fast acting aluminium based phosphate remover and remove most of the GHA manually. Try blowing out the rock as detritus gets trapped up in the rock and this will most certainly cause algea problems as time progresses.

14. Hill

Hill

Not enough info about your scrubber here to really comment.

I would up the lighting level and light on time of the scrubber. At the same time cut back the lighting on the display tank as much as you can. This will speed up the ATS development.

15. Quinton

Quinton Smarty-pants Newbie

Definitely check your KH, and push up to 8-9 if necessary. Julian Sprung highly recommends it for GHA, and it has definitely worked for me in the past. It made much more of a difference than anything else (I feed more now, do less frequent water changes, and use no PO4 remover, yet I have no GHA - some of this is just plain maturity of the bacterial population, but I'm pretty sure that a lot has to do with running an increased KH).

Q

16. SantaMonica

SantaMonica

If you could post some pics of your scrubber screen before and after cleaning, that would do it. If you are running your scrubber properly, the algae in your display can't last more than 8 weeks or so.

17. Tony

Tony

The quickest way to get rid of GHA is Prodibio. Obviously good husbandry goes hand in hand with this but it will sort you out quickly

Recent Posts