How did Dorrie die?

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by HendrikKotze, 12 May 2008.

1. HendrikKotze

HendrikKotze

I found my Dorrie (regal tang) lying on the bottom of the tank this morning. It lost most of it's blue color and was breathing heavily. It kind of attacked me when I picked it up and then died. No very nice.
    I have added 2 common clowns and an anemone with it to the tank on Friday and everyone was still very happy last night.
    It's stomache was a little bit swolen, but that is all.
    I also have a yellow tang and cleaner wrasse, leather coral and brown star pollyps.
    Last time I measured the ammonium and nitirites were zero, pH 8, KH 9, nitrades 25 ppm, calcium 350 ppm (trying to raise it), magnesium 1250 ppm, phosphates 0.25.
    Could the anemone have stung it?
    I want to try and find out what could be the cause before I buy another one.

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. IMarine

IMarine

Sorry to hear,maby his time to go

4. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hello Hendrik -

Here's my opinion:
    Possibly one of two things:
    1) the fish itself was weak perhaps due to not eating enough, or due to some bacteria illness, or even some infection, and it swam into the tentacles of the anemone, which stung it and killed it
    2) the fish might have gotten "Carried" into the tentacles of the anemone while it was sleeping, by the "current" in the water (if you have very strong water flow)....

5. Jason

Jason

Yip, agree 100% with Jacques... My bed is take out the nennie, you may lose some more fish... Mine took out my sailfin and i got rid of him the next day...

6. jacquesb

Jason - even though I gave those two points as a suggestion reasoning - this is my story:
    I have currently 3 anemone's in my tank (one HUGE Ritteri/H. Magnifica, one LTA (long tentacle/sand anemone, and one radianthus anemone). The only time that my anemone's have killed any of my fish, was when they were extremely sick, and weak. At no other time was a fish killed by one of my anemone's. One of my naso tangs was stung by my H. Magnifica a while back, but the fish was not sick at all because of the stinging. The fish's body just had the scars all over....

7. Jason

Jason

wel my sailfin wasnt sick at all, he was a beast in the tank... happend during the day... The sailfin never went close to the nennies side... But i have heard alot of people losing fish because of nennies...

8. jacquesb

OK - sorry to hear Jason.

Hendrik - also sorry hear about your Dory (Regal tang)...

9. Warr7207

Warr7207

Sorry for your loss.

It could be the dreaded new tank syndrome. Not nice :(

10. dendrosa

dendrosa Member

How long did you acclimatise the tang for before putting into tank?

11. HendrikKotze

HendrikKotze Thread Starter

I added tank water twice and it took 30 minutes.
    It was acting a bit weird, but maybe it was normal.
    It would sleep on it's side in between 2 rocks.
    It did not eat the first day, but after that I saw it eating every time.
    It also ate the green stuff in the pic and maybe some brine shrimp.
    I switch off 2 of 4 the power heads with the lights at night. So the current is not that strong, but you never know.

[​IMG]

12. dendrosa

dendrosa Member

Also, just to confirm the timeline, I assume you acclimated& put fish into tank friday afternoon / evening. It was alive and - you believe- eating Saturday and Sunday, but lying on its side on the bottom of the tank at night. Monday morning it was dead. Is this correct?

13. HendrikKotze

Yes. I put it into the tank Friday at 4pm. I saw it eating as described above.
    No, it was sleeping between new live rock about 1/3 the height of the water, from the bottom.
    Sunday night 10 pm it was still in the rocks.
    Monday 7:30 I found it at the bottom of the tank on it's side.

14. Warr7207

Warr7207

Sleeping in the rocks is normal, hippo tangs take a while to get used to their new environment. Mine have all gone reef side for a couple of days.

How long has your tank been running ?

15. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Quite likely the yellow tang attacked it - tangs are very territorial, and the first tang can easily kill the new "intruder"...

Hennie

16. HendrikKotze

For about 2 months now.

17. HendrikKotze

Would there have been any damage to the regal tang caused by the yellow tang?
    The yellow is quite peaceful and I never saw any conflict.
    He would only chase the cleaner wrasse if if bit him while trying to clean him.

Hendrik

18. dendrosa

dendrosa Member

Ok here's my theory.The fact that the fish deteriorated so rapidly from being a healthy looking speciman at the LFS ( you wouldn't buy a sick looking fish ?) to dead in a little over 2 days, I believe points to two possible causes:

1. your tank is toxic. Now the fact that you have a yellow tang living in there plus the other fish without any symptoms of any distress, would rule this possibility out.

2. Insufficient acclimatisation. Tangs are amongst the less hardier fish and cannot take rapid changes in salinity, temp and /or PH. I would reccomend that you acclimatise your new stock for at least 1 hour, some would recommend acclimating for as long as three hours. Ideally tank water should be introduced slowly and regularly ie by the drip method. If you use the floating bag method, small additions of water should be added regularly over the acclimatisation period ( like a quarter cup every 5 to 10 mins or so. If necessary remove water from bag so it does'nt overflow)

Recent Posts