How deep should substrate be?

Reaction score
Bought some Aragonite. How deep should I make my substrate in my nano?

personally i prefer keeping it shallow around 2cm deep.

A bed that shallow will not result in nitrif/denitrif hey? I think i'll go 2.5 - 3cm

Not sure if I want it for biological purposes or just easthetics...

If its shallow the aragonite will still function to buffer the pH etc?

Matt - what LikesFish means, is "do you want to use the DSB for denitrification purposes" or "just for how it looks"?

For denitrification purposes, I would suggest to rather go +-8cm deep (if you can)...

For "how it looks" - go for 2 to 3cm thick...

To answer your question:
If it is shallow, then you would NOT get any an-aerobic areas where acids would be formed by the biological process. Only if these acids are formed, then the aragonite would be able to be broken down to buffer the tank....

yip, and it depletes very very slow.
i did some research on this topic before using it as dsb, and buffer cap is very slow.

Use arogonite around 20 - 30 mm deep, purely for aethetic means, but any sand bed made of any sand will eventually have denitrifying qualities - which are a positive.

I would never use larger stoned sized gravel even for a shallow bed as it will accumulate detritus.

So is sand better for a DSB than using larger stone sized gravel?

hi snobee,
The finer the gravel the better for a dsb. I'm using river sand for this purpose.
But then you'll have to go a bit deeper than 2 cm....

Is it ok to have about 4cm of course gravel and then 2cm of sand in the DSB... or will that serve no purpose at all?

edit: the course gravel being at the bottom.

Last edited:
Use 0.2 - 2.0mm size substrate and make it 6-8 inches deep for best results in denitrification. Don't use coarse coral sand - detrites will build up and cause high nitrates later on and then cyano and then big headache...:wave2:

This works for normal DSB in a sump or refugium, too deep for your nano - won't look good and you're gonna loose too much space.

Last edited:
Is it ok to have about 4cm of course gravel and then 2cm of sand in the DSB... or will that serve no purpose at all?

edit: the course gravel being at the bottom.

It would not have any advantages, and could have quite a few disadvantages (depending on the size and thickness of the course aggregate). I would suggest you only use a well graded, fine sand throughout the sand bed.

Hennie

It would not have any advantages, and could have quite a few disadvantages (depending on the size and thickness of the course aggregate). I would suggest you only use a well graded, fine sand throughout the sand bed.

Hennie

Ditto. You can't keep an effective sand bed in a nano tank. Any sand you use will be aesthetic (or perhaps to create another niche for worms/pods/etc.)

Back
Top Bottom