How deep should my DT sand bed be?

the anarabic bacteria lives from the 10cm mark.

don't know if you want yor dt sand bed above 10cm

I would go for a 2cm DT sandbed. Then add a DSB to your sump 12-15cm.

i have a slightly strange (rogue power head helped) situation where i have different depth of sand in my DT. I could take a pic for you and show you, and measure the different section if you like. Have a look on my tank thread for a Full tank shot, you will see the middle is thicker than the sides....but thats from that powerhead :(

but the areas which are over 8 cm have by far and above the greatest sand life in it. the shallower areas have far less worms ect moving through it, and the very shallow areas (less than 2cm) fall under the area covered by the canopy so I am not sure there.

I would agree with mek if its just asthetics you want, but if its substate life you want then def add the rest of the substrate if you can.

I'd def go with bens idea if i could :)

Ben is that across the new huge monster you are doing, and what subtrate. Aragonite would be too expensive i should think, i only have a 1.8 m and it was too expensive for me.

you won't have enough anerobic bacteria that you will have at a depth of 10cm

I would go for a 2cm DT sandbed. Then add a DSB to your sump 12-15cm.

You lie Mek, you would go BB :whistling: :whistling:

I agree, DT sand bed is just for asthetic purposes and worms and pods stay in it, I would suggest only make it 1-2 cm and a DSB in your sump of 15cm(6 inches) ;)

I don't think there is a maximum depth, if I remember correctly, after about 300mm there is no additional benefit.

I don't think there is a maximum depth, if I remember correctly, after about 300mm there is no additional benefit.

Moz - you 100% correct!

Puppy has his DSB in his sump at 300mm. But he uses CaribSea Pink Aragonite....

You lie Mek, you would go BB :whistling: :whistling:

I agree, DT sand bed is just for asthetic purposes and worms and pods stay in it, I would suggest only make it 1-2 cm and a DSB in your sump of 15cm(6 inches) ;)

Im asking cause I currently have 3-10cm depth of sand in my DT. So is this bad or should I take some out?

Im asking cause I currently have 3-10cm depth of sand in my DT. So is this bad or should I take some out?

I would say it depends on the size of the tank, you can't have a 10cm sand bed in your 60litre nano :p - it just won't look right and you'll waste a lot of space. In a 8 foot tank a deeper sand bed of 3-10cm might not look so bad ;)

Back
Top Bottom