How can MASA members make a difference?

Discussion in 'Diving, Collecting and Environmental Discussions' started by Neil H, 31 Jan 2011.

1. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

I have decided to start this thread to find out how members are making a difference to the environment, and society in general.

This is your opportunity to voice your opinion and possibly educate others on how we can do our little bit to change the world we live in....

This is not a bitching thread, this thread is to highlight the good that individuals can do !

So tell us about the initiatives you have undertaken be it marine related or not....

tell us about solar heating or drought resistant plants, or organic farming or town house farming or recycling or wind power or raising funds for animal protection or building animal shelters or owl houses in the city, anything that is making a difference to our environment ?

IF there is a big enough response i will ask Viper to open a completely seperate section of the forum for this but for now lets keep it to one thread ! :thumbup:

ShaunSwindon likes this.
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

teaching and showing my kids and more important their friends to what is under water. What you can not see.

4. Boegie

Boegie

I think that if every reefkeepers has a frag tank, it would reduce the import of corals that comes from the reefs. We should also put more energy towards breeding fishes.

5. seank

seank

Changed my house lights to 12v, working on the tank to get LED's to be able to use less power.

Set geyser on timer to draw less power.

Not using Dishwasher anymore- manual washing....lol- saves electricity as well as water

Put bricks in the cisterns of the toilets to use less water

Use microwave more often as well as steam cookers, instead of oven

Use Gas Stove more than Electric stove.

Changed my Company a little- Only selling Eco Friendly Products, eg., Composite Wooden Decking, Composite Roof Tiles, door frames, Window Frames etc.

Supplying Ecowash- Basically a plastic Container, connected to your Shower, Basins, Baths etc to catch up all the water, where it is plumbed to your toilet, so your toilet uses the waste water from your bath, basin, shower.

Where we mowed our lawn every 02 days, we are doing it now once a week- saves a crap load of fuel- less gas emissions.

Running the Aircons only when it is sizzling hot, and only in the rooms that is occupied.

Got fans in the rooms too for the not so very hot days, instead of running the aircons.

Brooms gets used more lately than the vacuum cleaner for the tiled floors.

Less outside lights running in the evening.

Instead of using 03 Fridges,(one in the Bar area, 01 in the garage area and one in the house) we bought a side by side fridge for the kitchen, and switched the others off.

Instead of using using three Freezers (one for my fish/bait etc, one for the dry goods as we get mites here an one for the meat etc) we are only using two now, combined the dry goods with the meat freezer, so one less freezer running.

Light cycle on the tank at the moment is three hours less as to what we used to run it. Makes a huge difference in electricity over a year period

Where three huge pumps are pushing the water up to the Jo-Jo tank during the day, only 01 pump is doing it during nighttime.

Switch our Tv's off at the wall plugs when not in use.

I'd say that is about it, cannot think of anything else right now.

Oh, Alida does not use the chimical things in the toilets (lekkerruikgoed) any more, she now uses the Organic substitute you buy at The Co-op. The farmers use it when they have french drains. It smells the same as the chemical stuff you buy at the supermarket, and cleans just as well.

She Also uses Organic Cleaning Products.

Last edited: 31 Jan 2011
  6. nico.m.ferreira

nico.m.ferreira

We can also start petetion on sertain topics were you sign your name.
    I strongly agree with the ideas espesialy the one about the frag tanksor frags in the sump, you safe a lot of money and also do a bit for the ocean.
    it will also be nice to swap frags.

7. Anemone

Anemone

Awesome thread Neil!

Some really nice contributions!

8. Tremayn

Tremayn

Sean is like captain planet ;)
    I just have solar heating
    changed all the light bulbs to energy savers
    and have quite a big veg patch. It produces so much that we just give most away to the neighbors and visitors lol
    Oh, and we have a fishery so we discourage people to buy endangered fish such as 74, fish on the red list and tell them the whole "how its our responsibility to take care of stuff" speech lol

9. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

I Been told stacking the dishwasher and only running it once it's full saves more water and electricity than manually washing them as they get dirty.

So i'm confused now:wacky:

10. seank

seank

If your home electricity bill is running at almost R3500/00 per month, you'd also start making plans- our problem is that we get penalised by our municipality if you use too much, plus our water account was heavy. As well as the fact that we need to start somewhere to try and save what was given to us for free

11. seank

seank

I do not have enough plates, knifes and forks, as we always have people/kids eating here....lol

Plus,a sink uses 22litres per Bowl (44lt on a double Bowl sink) when full to the top. So we normally fill it ¾ , meaning we only using 33 litres. I still want to see how a dishwasher uses less than that.

12. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

do not do that. brick will go soft and brittle over time, breaking up and the small bits will get into the valves.

Rather fill a 1L coke bottle with water and dump that in there.

13. seank

seank

Good idea Riaan,(sounds cleaner) but I have yet to see a Brick do that. Been in the Brick game for almost 20 years

14. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Put the dishwasher outlet into a bucket and check. I believe some dishwashers actually do not use a lot of water. Maybe Alida could be lucky....

15. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

nice effort sean and good thread neil. i will try implement as many of these suggestions as i can at out new place.

16. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Well, to decrease my carbon footprint, I have a solar geyser, only have 11watt bulbs in my house, have worm farm to educate my boy about recycling, recycle all my glass, paper and plastic. My dream would to be totally carbon neutrall and have my whole house run on solar energy, but converting would cost around R350K!!:dft004:
    I plan to next buy a hybrid, either prius or honda CRZ as I only do town driving.

NB for is to EDUCATE MY SON, it's going to be his earth and responsibility when I am gone.

17. seank

seank

As a matter of interest for those who does not know. One brick, or something similar in size) saves you 21.78 litres of water a day if you flush your toilet 12 times (at home and office if you like) (average for a family of 5) a day..... That is 152.46 litres a week, or 7949.7 litres of water a year.

Sooooooo, if, say 500 people in the same town does it, the town saves 3 million 9 hundred 74 thousand, 8 hundred and 50 litres of water over a year period. MAkes you think hey.

Last edited: 31 Jan 2011
  18. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

WOW!! I am putting bricks in my toilet!!!
    Only problem, what happens if it's a huge load, you know what I mean?:whistling::lol:

19. seank

seank

Hence the 12 flushes a day....lol

20. ShaunSwindon

ShaunSwindon

Hey Neil. Nice thread by the way and very proactive. Thanks :thumbup:

1. We turn off our geyser each night after we shower and then only turn it on an hour before we shower the next day.
    2. We shower at home instead of bathing.
    3. We recycle all glass, paper and plastics which is a mission in South Africa by the way.
    4. I have put a brick into each of my toilets cisterns to save water when flushing.
    5. Only wash dishes by hand where before we had a dishwasher.
    6. Changed all my globes to the energy saver ones except my tank and chameleon lights.
    7. I do not use any aerosols in my home. No poisons etc.
    8. Even though I live in a flat I have an earthworm farm on my veranda which all my vegetable peels and bio-degradable stuff goes into.
    9. We do not eat fast food eg: McDonald's, Steers etc.
    10. We grow all our own herbs and some vegetables in our flat and on the veranda ;)
    11. We walk everywhere we can get to within 10kms from our home instead of driving.
    12. We only buy organically grown food which we do not grow ourselves.
    13. We buy personal hygiene products which are organic.
    14. We do not buy products which are tested on animals.
    15. We are slowly weaning ourselves off meat products as it is unhealthy to just stop eating meat. I would like to be a vegan eventually by the end of this year problem is like most people I love my stuk vleis :whistling:
    16. We try our hardest to kill nothing. The only thing I have killed in over two years now to my knowledge are mosquito's. I have no remorse over their deaths. I firmly believe life should be shown respect and why I was so upset when I lost four beautiful fish because of my own errors :)
    17. We donate money each month to the SPCA, the Free Me Foundation, the CROW foundation (where I used to work when I was a kid) and the CARE foundation.
    18. I volunteer at the local SPCA over weekends.
    19. We on occasions when walking in public parks pick up rubbish and put it into a bag which we carry around with us.
    I would like to do more. Like grow all my own vegetables. I would like to help out more at animal shelters. I would like to go back into nature conservation. I would like to use free energy more (solar and wind). Like you can see I would love to make more changes but living in a flat restricts a lot of the decisions I make :(

Regardless a great idea for a thread Neil. Well done :)

21. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

mamparra's

normal facebrick should not do it.

Recent Posts