Hotdog's Maxed Out Reef 650

Whao that Pearl Coral is a stunner, i have tried myself of building x2 jawfish tunnel/houses, with no luck of them going in :banghead:

1.jpg

Whao that Pearl Coral is a stunner, i have tried myself of building x2 jawfish tunnel/houses, with no luck of them going in :banghead:

1.jpg

Haha, that is awesome, had the same idea, but seems they prefer more sandy sides to their burrows.

Some update, took off the Improved Living LED unit, as the drivers seem to have reached their end of life after one year, lost quite a few the last month or 2. Could be too hot inside the RSM lid perhaps. So running the 3x100w Cree XTE chips together with 4x80w T5’s (ATI bulbs: 2xBlue Plus, 1xPurple Plus, 1xactinic, might swap actinic out for coral plus in near future), quite happy with the results, hopefully corals agree with me. Some random pics.

EFB4BA47-1AC9-43F0-8EE2-25616C049E3D.jpeg
C2F0FA0C-E903-4A1E-A9F6-36182805722A.jpeg
8709A785-412D-4553-98FD-7B73C630A3F1.jpeg
1E84F0A1-4088-45F9-8CBD-DA1B4A802FB4.jpeg
1C7E07F1-B658-4EF9-A042-EF258D6812FE.jpeg
123945B0-C795-4697-98DB-AF6333E82F4D.jpeg
A3D1A31B-3F3C-4555-883F-BF5C5B2A54E4.jpeg
00718AAB-77F7-4670-848A-2242E0AAE1DD.jpeg
7FD1A73A-8FF1-4180-9497-7155F69512EE.jpeg
CE385C66-A3CD-4FD5-8E6E-FA1F38BA3C63.jpeg

The local zoas that you collected a few pages back. Were they in rock pools or did you have to snorkel to get them. Also what fish will one be able to catch in rock pools?

The local zoas that you collected a few pages back. Were they in rock pools or did you have to snorkel to get them. Also what fish will one be able to catch in rock pools?

Mostly in rock pools, did snorkel for 1 or 2 frags, but was shallow. Fish depends on exact location and time of year, the only real guarantee for a rock pool is a blenny.

Mostly in rock pools, did snorkel for 1 or 2 frags, but was shallow. Fish depends on exact location and time of year, the only real guarantee for a rock pool is a blenny.

What kind of blennys can one find that are reef safe?

What kind of blennys can one find that are reef safe?

Most of them are reef safe, but brown and drab unfortunately. Mostly Istiblennius species I think. There are also a lot of damsels in rock pools, but rather stay away from them as they are really aggressive. Oh, and you should be able to easily find convict tangs in rock pools, good algae eaters. Around January to March is your best time to find something interesting, as that is when the new juveniles come in to settle after their larval phase.

Just to pique your interest, in May 2009 someone found a baby emperor angel in a rock pool on the wild coast, and there was a rumor that some kid catching random rock pool fish caught a gem tang in the rock pools by Umhlanga a few years ago.

Just to pique your interest, in May 2009 someone found a baby emperor angel in a rock pool on the wild coast, and there was a rumor that some kid catching random rock pool fish caught a gem tang in the rock pools by Umhlanga a few years ago.
Is there any chance of catching anything i Jeffreys Bay?

Is there any chance of catching anything i Jeffreys Bay?

I have tried collecting extensively at St Francis Bay, but the best I could manage were marleyi butterflies, so don’t think it will be worth it at Jeffrey’s bay. However, in PE there are a few collecting spots, guys have caught lots of moorishes at Cape Recife and in Swartkops river quite a few nice fish have come out the last few years, including a few jumping beans. It is the wrong time of year for that part of SA to collect at the moment, as cold upwellings in winter normally kills all the remaining tropicals, normally January to May is collecting time there.

maybe nice to see in the ocean...but in a tank....not so nice.

Why do you think so? I've had jumping beans that weren't aggressive at all, I'd say in my experience a yellow tang has way more attitude than any jumping bean I've had.

Is your tank now disease free or have your fish just built up a immunity?

Why do you think so? I've had jumping beans that weren't aggressive at all, I'd say in my experience a yellow tang has way more attitude than any jumping bean I've had.
had one before....was a nasty bugger....killed a yellow tang....and i couldnt add anything to the tank after the jumping bean. he would just go nuts.

had one before....was a nasty bugger....killed a yellow tang....and i couldnt add anything to the tank after the jumping bean. he would just go nuts.

Eish, guess it depends on individual fish, I had a bangaii cardinal kill a bigger pajama cardinal too, some fish are just psychopaths.

As a point of interest, how do you go about transporting these back to Joburg?

Back
Top Bottom