Hotdog's Maxed Out Reef 650

Reaction score
In a closed bucket in the boot with fresh seawater I collected from the surf zone just before we start the drive.
Do you collect over the course of a few days? How do you keep the fish over the course of however long?

hotdog83

Clone Fish
Reaction score
Do you collect over the course of a few days? How do you keep the fish over the course of however long?
I do tank transfer method while we are there with an airstone and flow pump, daily transfers with new seawater every day. In winter also a heater, but in summer in kzn this is not necessary.

Reaction score
In a closed bucket in the boot with fresh seawater I collected from the surf zone just before we start the drive.
Cool man, thanks a lot. The skoon-familie have a holiday house in Mtwalume, hopefully with it being a bit quieter in that area I should have some luck finding something nice

Reaction score
For my 400 ish liter tank that I'm busy setting up I want to have an algae scrubber be my main source of nutrient export. The tank will have a reasonably low bio load. What size screen do you recommend I use and do you know where I could get the screen?

hotdog83

Clone Fish
Reaction score
For my 400 ish liter tank that I'm busy setting up I want to have an algae scrubber be my main source of nutrient export. The tank will have a reasonably low bio load. What size screen do you recommend I use and do you know where I could get the screen?

See what the biggest screen is you can fit in the sump and still take out with reasonable ease (plan for splash guards around it, as the salt spray will drive you crazy otherwise). You can have a look in the garden section at Builders, they have a white mesh type material that works really well. Just make sure the flow is enough, as that seems to be the differentiating factor whether it works or not.

Reaction score
Well my sump us 120 by 45. There won't be a skimmer so there is plenty of space for the algae scrubber. What size do you think would be appropriate? Fish wise I'm going to have between 6 and 10 fish with the only large fish being a blue tang and either a copperband or yellow longnose butterfly.

hotdog83

Clone Fish
Reaction score
Well my sump us 120 by 45. There won't be a skimmer so there is plenty of space for the algae scrubber. What size do you think would be appropriate? Fish wise I'm going to have between 6 and 10 fish with the only large fish being a blue tang and either a copperband or yellow longnose butterfly.
Honestly, see what you can fit in there with splash guards and space for the feeder pump, and still be able to work in the sump. The mesh size in my case was surprisingly small compared to what I think it would be after the splash guards and also pipe elbows.

Reaction score
Awesome pics, That 1st Pic is priceless :drool5:

hotdog83

Clone Fish
Reaction score
Thanks guys. The crash made me realize it is really a lot of work to have an overstocked tank, really enjoying the lower bioload.

Reaction score
So nice to see the tank coming back to life again...arent you glad now you didnt part with it! :D

img_2349-jpg.jpg

Where did you get the RED Bubble Tip Anemone? I've been looking for a true red one for over a year now with no luck...

hotdog83

Clone Fish
Reaction score
So nice to see the tank coming back to life again...arent you glad now you didnt part with it! :D

img_2349-jpg.jpg

Where did you get the RED Bubble Tip Anemone? I've been looking for a true red one for over a year now with no luck...
I think I got that from @MacSakkie , but my butterflies destroyed it (ate the tentacles causing it to hide and bleach), only coming back to life and getting colour again now, think it had a green base in its heyday, it is one of these:
8C5E5C1A-6EDC-4B79-934E-974603FFF5D3.jpeg

Reaction score
Ah okay...so still not the true plain dark red bubble tip...those things seem to be but a relic of the passed. :(

hotdog83

Clone Fish
Reaction score
‘Just quickly’ wanted to move one rock to fit in new big colt coral, a few rock falls and hour later and the whole left side has been rescaped.:confused:

8C06AB45-3713-4631-8DAC-67BD9A859DAC.jpeg