Hosting clowns

Reaction score
Howzit guys.
i am looking at getting two clowns but i am worried about my torch coral. Matt"s have already started to host his torch and the coral is not as happy as it normally is.
I know you can't determine what your clowns will eventually host but i want to give them options.
I don't want to go the anemone root so what is a cool ( good looking) :) coral that will be happy with clowns hosting it?
ps been reading up and some guys have clowns hosting hammer coral good or bad idea?

well my clown hosts in my frogspawn.occasionally there will be a tentacle of the frogspawn floating around the tank.but i doubt its causing any serious harm.theyve been together for over 1.5 years and the frogspawn is still thriving

Mekaeel: how bit is the frogspawn?? I have a new torch and my clowns are hosting in it but it could be because you have a large frogspawn with little clowns?

Mekaeel: how bit is the frogspawn?? I have a new torch and my clowns are hosting in it but it could be because you have a large frogspawn with little clowns?
Hey Matt,mines is pretty large,got a 18 heads on it.and when i got the frogswapn it had about 5 heads. clown is about 5cm long

Last edited:
Wow! see my torch is small (2 heads) and my clowns are each about 3cm. Might be ok for a bit but in the long run i've been told the constant rubbing irritates the coral, physically wearing away its tissue as well as causing it to retract a bit into its skeleton, thus not eat properly.

bugger i'd love to get rid of the clowns but then my girlfriend would lose all interest in my tank!

matt - my touch is one head but he is fully extended even with my clown and the clown only started hosting this week

shan: my clowns wouldn't leave it alone and wasn't extending fully. Also male would suck on the torch's tentacles which made it really annoyed!

i have just been reading on other forums and it seems alot of clowns host frogspawn they say that the coral is very hardy and it gets used to clowns.
will the clowns eventually kill the coral even so its so hardy?

mike - just remember that even if you get a frogspawn, you cannot tell your clowns to leave your touch alone - the fish choose which home they want to host in

i saw a pic, where clowns hosted the outlet whole.
very funny, they created allot of overflows, due to the water buildup in the DT

Wish I could spear my clowns! Just got rid of the most beautiful torch because didn't want them to cane it...

If you decide to get a frogspawn, move the torch somewhere else in the tank and put the frogspawn where the torch was. Clowns tend to hang around and should start hosting the frogspawn.

Frogspawn and Hammer coral seem to handle hosting clowns, but the torch & heliofungia eventually get killed. The constant rubbing starts exposing the skeleton and then it kicks the bucket

Back
Top Bottom