Hostile "take-over"

Reaction score
Hi all
Just joined the forum as I'm going to try my hand at Marine Aquariums... Been doing fresh water now for some time, but what the hech, never to old to learn.

I just took over (by force) a small 45L tank from a person who clearly didn't take care of the tank, fish or equipment. The two little Clowns were terrified for the first few days, but are looking more relaxed since I got my hands on a few litres of water from one of your other members (in fact, he "pushed" me to get this tank and prommised me with help, information, advice and all; including that I MUST join MASA).

I'm so new to Marine aquariums that I can make a beginner look like a pro, so any advice, will be highly appreciated... Just a note, money is tight, so if there's a cheap option, belive me, I'll take it. But here's a pic of the Nemo's I have... Feel free to email any advice.
169949afa7532f7b1.jpg

A very WARM WELCOME to MASA Giepie. I am VERY glad that you were sort of "pushed" to join MASA! You won't regret it.

Unfortunately, taking over a tank that someone neglected, is a VERY hard thing to do. I don't want to put you off anything, but you are now sort of obliged to LEARN on HECK of a LOT, in a VERY short period of time!
And with the tank being 45 litres only, you have the added issues, where a very small water volume like that, when things do go wrong, the tend to go wrong VERY VERY QUICKLY!

Also - please start a new thread for your own tank - in the "New Members" area...

Hey Jacquesb, thanks for the re[ply... Yip, Ashraf told me that I'll learn a lot after joining and after pending the last our on this site, I feel I know a lot more than yesterday. I do understand the principle behind small volumes, but I had to... The guy I took it from wanted R400 for everything... When I saw the set-up, he copuld obviously see that I was ready to kill, so he told me to just take it... I took the tank over with about 25L of water that was from the tank, and rushed home to get everything set-up. The Nemo were very scared untill I toped up with the water that Ashraf gave me and almost immediately, the fish "came out to play". The nice thing about this deal was the 4 large chunks of LR that I got... and sor far I learned, that LR is a must!

I've printed about 100 pages of articles and tips on starting, my only problem is all the abbrviations... One thing I did figure out so far is: LR = Live Rock!!! But I'll take your advice and pop inm at New members.

If there is one thing in life that really get me @#$& is the fact that people will start with a hobby, blow a lot of money on it and then neglect it... I have a freshwater aquarium now for 6 years and know of the pleasure that it gives, so to see a person with a marine aquarium neglect it to a point of distruction, left me with only once choice: Hostile Take-over.

Now I have a small 45-50L aquarium with some LR, Marine powerhead, external box filter and 2 X Nemo's. It was a heck of a rush to get everything livable for the poor fish after transport and I ended up with a half a tank of water for the fish to live in... Got some 2Oceans Aquarium water (15L) as a gift from a VERY dear friend and added it slowly - very slowly... All of a sudden my Nemo's came out of hiding and are enjoying their home... They are still a little scared for any sudden movements around the tank, but for what they have gone thru up untill my take over, I don't blame them...

I hope to learn a lot here, because if push-come-to-shove, I plan to conver my 110L freshwater quarium to salt water...

169949afbcd2bde23.jpg

Welcome. Don't the clowns fight because they are different species?

Welcome. Don't the clowns fight because they are different species?

no all the time, Warr has 2 that are best buddies :)

well done and welcome to MASA

Good job! Please read and ask as much as you can about what to and what not too do in marines, as it is very different to FW. Read up on test kits you need like ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, phosphates alkalinity etc.
Please top up with fresh RO water when the water evaporates. Remember only water evaporates, not the salt, so you never add salt water to top up evaporated water. Good luck and please keep us updated.

Ps, that is not Nemo's - the one with the 2 white stripes is a Clarkii and the other one is from hell :lol: - AKA Tomato clown!

well done !

Welcome to MASA

:welcometomasa2:

Now we are talking ! - I will work with you every step of the way. The leap from Fresh Water to Marine is quite steep, but the most important ingredient is patience and to know that there is no such thing as a stupid question:razz:

I never got a chance to check your salinity last night but should get to it tonight. I will sms you the result. Don't worry to much about the other stuff we spoke about just yet, we will get their together.

Welcome to the most rewarding hobby on the plant:yeahdude:

I don't know so much my Clarki, canes my Axe Murderer aka MAROON Clown

Jeez guys, I turn my back for a few minutes and all the replies... Believe me, I'm doing a lot of reading (have about 50 pages of reading material for tonight). Thanks for the tips on test kits - I only have a Combo Ph Test kit (salt water and fresh water). Also thanks for pointing out the different spiecies. Didn't know the big one was from hell. I'll call in Meat Loaf (creator of Bat out of hell). Also, a big "THANK YOU" to Amalick for the top-up water he supplied me with that braught the fish out of hiding.

I do have a question, though... Can I feed them frozen food (I got bloodword and daphnia) that I feed to my pregnant FW livebearing females...

Last bu not least - Thanks for all the welcome notes... Makes me feel at home :)

I will also have to do some in depth measurement tonight at home to establish the volume of the tank. By the looks of it, it may be 45-50L

you've come to the right place...
read the link on Tobes signature very helpful

Jeez guys, I turn my back for a few minutes and all the replies... Believe me, I'm doing a lot of reading (have about 50 pages of reading material for tonight). Thanks for the tips on test kits - I only have a Combo Ph Test kit (salt water and fresh water). Also thanks for pointing out the different spiecies. Didn't know the big one was from hell. I'll call in Meat Loaf (creator of Bat out of hell). Also, a big "THANK YOU" to Amalick for the top-up water he supplied me with that braught the fish out of hiding.

I do have a question, though... Can I feed them frozen food (I got bloodword and daphnia) that I feed to my pregnant FW livebearing females...

Last bu not least - Thanks for all the welcome notes... Makes me feel at home :)

I will also have to do some in depth measurement tonight at home to establish the volume of the tank. By the looks of it, it may be 45-50L

er welcome boet!!!:)

ok good on amalick to help you out i'm sure he wont lead you astray;)

ok so firstly the BIG ONE WITH TWO STRIPES (dark brown and yellow) IS A CLARKII CLOWN the SMALL ON IS A TOMATO CLOWN FROM HELL(THE RED ONE WITH ONE STRIPE)

i know its possible that your big one will keep that tomato from taking over for now so dont worry bout it just yet.

secondly you can feed them the blood worms i feed it to my fish but not too much as it can pollute your water.daphinia i'm not sure about but i think it will be fine to feed it to them if they eat it.

Thanks for pointing out my "oopsy" Falcon, Amaslick already came to me laughing about my "Bat-out-of-hell".

The reason why I asked the question about the frozen food is that I baught it in bulk, but discovered that my FW fish do prefer the bloodworms. Will a half a cube be enough, or shall I start smaller to test for polution (or even over-feeding).

Just to point out to all of you what a "dweeb" I am whem it comes to Marine tanks... Picture this... You get a tank with what looks like hard coral... cos that's the way it looks... just to find out that it's LR... Mmmm, told you all, I'm startinmg on Zero knowledge, but already on day one, I have learned so much... Just can't stop saying thank you "I'm ~tank~full" :thumbup:

Back
Top Bottom