Hospital tanking a new mandarin

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by Stressed Eric, 14 Dec 2009.

1. Stressed Eric

Stressed Eric

Hi guys,

I see my LFS has had a shipment of tiny mandarin's and i'm really keen on getting another one. Problem is they seem to be covered in white spot. I doubt they have been 'trained' to eat anything other than natural food - which will become a huge problem if i put them in a hospital tank and dose with copper. If i introduce some pods into the tank they will die right away from the copper. Is it worth doing or should i rather wait for a cleaner shipment ? Any ideas ?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Annoying

Annoying

I would say wait for a better shipment but lets wait and see what the rest say...

4. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

I wouldn't take the chance :(

5. Yuri

Yuri

lots of lfs have mandarins just have a look

6. mandarinman

mandarinman

mandarins are not supposed to get whitespot due to their skin type. let the shop put one aside for you till it recovers from whatever it has got. let the risk stay with the shop. i bought one that was starving in the shop and it died(no offer of refund) in my tank a couple of weeks later(maybe it was too far gone. i dont feel sorry for a fish anymore cos the shopowner dont feel sorry for my wallet.

7. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Sorry for saying this, but that's not a good attitude to have. Someone that doesn't care about livestock shouldn't be keeping them...

8. FransSny

FransSny

stressed eric, I doubt if it is WS, due to their skin type they are not supposed to / cant get WS.

My guess would be an injury or parasites.

furthermore treating mandarins with copper based meds is also very risky (goes for the rest of the Callionymidae family) also due to their skin type.

i would strongly steer you away from mandarins due to their specialized diets (amphipods & copepods)

my 2C

9. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

well, having the mandarin in a QT tank, where you can feed him pods, will give you a change to teach him to accept frozen food. There is some articles on the web on that. They mix frozen and live food, same type together and with luck the mandarin will learn to eat the dead food.

This is what I did with my copperband, gave him live brine shrimp and frozen together. Now he accepts the frozen food, especially Mysis shrimp. Also used a hugh 100ml injection, to put the food every time at the same place. He learned, that the injection brings food. Now he eats what comes out. Also it allow me to slowly add the food, so that the other fast eaters do not eat everything too fast thereby not giving the copperband time to eat, they are slow eaters.

But again, if it got stuff on it and it is not MI, I will not take that change.

10. mandarinman

mandarinman

it didnt come across the way i intended it. i do feel sorry for the fish itself, but i am not keen to pay full price for a fish, and take the full responsibility of trying to help it survive when there is a huge risk financially and illnesswise for the rest of ones inhabitants. while the shop owner just looks at you with no sympathy. the attitude of a shopkeeper should be one of 'let me keep it for a couple of weeks for you and if it is healthy then, you are welcome to purchase it. instead the atitude is ' better if it dies in your tank than mine cos you will come back for another one. ps this is not everyone but most places

11. Atilla

Atilla Sponsor

alot of shop owners have this attitude:(. i agree

12. nadia

nadia

There was a very thorough article about Mandarins in last month's CORAL magazine. Please read it. It explains that even if your Mandy is eating frozen food, it wont last long because it needs specialized food (amphopods & copepods) If ur reef is old and mature it might make it. Mine didn't and I felt like a murderer. It seemed 2 b fine for 2weeks and then one morning found its carcass. Dont know if it was killed by my Nemo's or Blue Damsel or if it was the lack of correct food. Good luck, they are really beautiful.

FransSny likes this.
  13. FransSny

FransSny

Nadia, rep points for you..these guys WIL NOT SURVIVE ON FOROZEN FOODS, IT IS NOT NATURAL.

Please guys leave them if your system is nt ready

14. mandarinman

mandarinman

nadia your attitude is really great. i think we may be in too much of a hurry and overload our tanks before they are ready and i dont believe all cures to tank problems are found in a bottle(although some are helpful)

Recent Posts