Horrible Brown Clove Polyps

Reaction score
I already have aiptasia. Busy with lemon juice, aiptasia X didn't do the trick, peppermint shrimps are pretty (but useless) and I can't find any Berghia.

Now I also have brown clove polyps. Ugly, fast growing, covering all my coralline etc.

I don't know what to do. I think I'm going to remove all the rock with the BCP on and muriatic acid there asses. I would do all of the rock in my tank to get rid of the Aips as well but some rocks have corals that cannot be removed.

Any other suggestions? Tank is going to look a bit naked and ugly for a while and when the rock has finished cycling (in a bucket) it will be white as snow again.

:(

Last edited:

EFJ

Reaction score
I have a Silver Scat fish. He got rid of my aiptasia and I had a forest of the stuff. Some were about 75mm in diameter maybe larger. Now I only have aip's in the sump and non in the display.:thumbup:

MrJ

Reaction score
I had a Filefish and thousands of Aips, now I battle to get Aips to give him a treat.

Reaction score
Copperband - difficult to keep alive, may eat other coral
Filefish - hit and miss with eating Aips and may eat coral
Silver scat!?!? - actually a full marine (not brackish) fish with the ability to go into estuaries and rivers to spawn. Hardy, coral friendly, only fights with other scats, omnivore, swims out in the open, Oscar "friendly" like behavior, messy eaters, grows large (35cm) in the wild and known to eat aiptasia.

Broaden my horizon why don't you. Thanks @EFJ

Last edited by a moderator:

EFJ

Reaction score
The nice thing is that the silver scat is cheap and I know a non sponsor that uses them to keep their rock tanks clean. The silver scat is also a good vacuum cleaner as it also eats fish poop. The only catch is that they need to be acclimatized to full marine. Not a bad looking fish either. My fox face and him are good mates.

Reaction score
The nice thing is that the silver scat is cheap and I know a non sponsor that uses them to keep their rock tanks clean. The silver scat is also a good vacuum cleaner as it also eats fish poop. The only catch is that they need to be acclimatized to full marine. Not a bad looking fish either. My fox face and him are good mates.
that's awesome , how did u acclimate him ?

EFJ

Reaction score
that's awesome , how did u acclimate him ?
Bought him from a fish store and over 8 days slowly changed the fresh water over to salt water. Every day I removed water from the holding tank and added water from my display until the salinity was correct. Then once all was fine (water wise) I added a rock with aiptasia into the holding tank. I didn't feed him for a couple of days, thats when he started taking a liking to aiptasia. Once he cleared the rock I moved him to my display and no more aiptasia problems for me.:m106:

Reaction score
hah that's awesome bud well done :thumbup: im keen to try getting a scat to be full marine . any idea what other fish operate in the same way ? archer fish would be great but they dont hit full marine at adult but close :m01:

Reaction score
so far i have removed the LR with the aps on them, i then used a solder gun to burn of each aiptasia and then use a dry earbud to wipe the site clean so that there are zero remains of the aiptasia.
a lil blob of superglue for good measure over the site and since then i have seen any aiptasia since.

will post updates if any aps come back

ps. i will be using the solder gun method for any other pests that creep up as it seems to be working well so far. doubt it would be suitable if you have 30 kgs of LR to remove and burn.

Last edited:
Top Bottom