Honeycomb Moray in my reef!

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Mtroboer, 17 Feb 2009.

1. Mtroboer

Mtroboer

Hi I'm back from honeymoon, luckilly the "non-reefer" is a reefer as well!:) We went hunting in some rock and tidal pools for some treasure when I spotted tiny Honeycombs sticking their heads from underneath a ledge. I proceeded to catch one of my dream fish and brought it back with me to the big hole. It's now in my reef and I have not seen it since, only that some tiny hermits have disappeared. So I guess it's one huge reef(Only some softies) coming up soon as a lair for my eel! Also found some awesome zoa's while I was there. Unfortunately all my stuff is in a temporary tank as I'm still settling in to the new house as well as doing some improvements to my tank and stand, will post pics over the weekend when everything will be up and running!:thumbup:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. crispin

crispin

NOT FAIR! cant post story's like that without a pic first. any pic of it! surely in the catching transport, acclimatization stages there is ONE pic? we not greedy, just ONE pic?????

4. Mtroboer

Mtroboer Thread Starter

Hehe...no pics, you'll just have to wait!

5. Mtroboer

Mtroboer Thread Starter

Guess I'm in a adventurous mood as I also caught what seems to be a grouper(Black with yellow dots) as well as two small Coris wrasses and added them as well! Will move the eel and grouper to a new BIG tank before they can get big enough to eat any of the other fish! Just hope the wrasses will be reef safe!

6. crispin

crispin

in other words you have moved them already.....even as little guys they eat fish...have you seen how a tock cod can open his mouth, i seriously wouldnt ahve them in a reef tank. adventure and foolhardy are subtly different :)

7. Mtroboer

Mtroboer Thread Starter

Yip, have seen the grouper open it's mouth... almost bigger than the fishy! Luckilly not anything small enough to fit, will watch it closely and will move it when it becomes a threat! Is eating marine mix and fishroe in the meantime.

8. Mtroboer

Mtroboer Thread Starter

They both still too small to harm anything in my reef, but will be looking out for a suitable tank in the meantime. They are still very small, the grouper about 1cm, the Wrasses 1,5 cm and the eel about 8cm, all feeding happily though! The grouper and eel will go into a large predator reef, along with a false stonefish and one or two other fish. Will have to be monster filtration running on a setup like this I believe!;)

9. crispin

crispin

you got that right. they produce huge amounts of waste, what sort of skimmer are you looking at?

10. Mtroboer

Mtroboer Thread Starter

It will probably be a larger Reef Oct Xtreme series or a Bubble Magus if I can get hold of one. Will cobine this with a reasonable DSB, activated carbon and a big algae screen. I'm open to any other ideas as this will require huge filtration like Crispin also confirmed. I'm up for the challenge though!:thumbup:

11. crispin

crispin

i dont think you will need anything way over the top, the larger the water vollume the better but the easiest to increase filtration espe on the short term will be a decent skimmer, at the same time you an leave your biological filtration to mature and stabalise

Recent Posts