Honey Dosing

tekkengal

Reaction score
It has always fascinated me that people found that chucking vodka, vinegar, sugar etc in their tanks would help with controlling nutrients but now I see that some people also chuck honey into their tanks for the nutrient control and amino acid supplementation.

Has anyone heard of or this tried this? Or better yet, does anyone want to be the forum guinea pig and try it? :p

oh Honey, I do not think so.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I thought along the same lines when I heard of honey dosing but hey, remember reefers:
- Feed garlic to fish
- Feed bananas to fish
- Feed lettuce to fish
- Dose vodka
- Dose vinegar
- Dose sugar
so why not add honey to the list :p

Don't forget vitamin C and peas!

Honey sounds like hit or miss. Each batch is different and contains some characterists of the plant the bee collected the nectar. So who knows what you adding.

Definitely can't forget those as well! :lol:
I see that this guy also used milk over and above dosing honey so can add milk to the list:
Hugo's sps tank - Page 6 - Reef Central Online Community

Just tried doing some research on raw vs processed honey and got nowhere except that the processing removes pollen at high heats. So most likely processed honey would be better with regards to dosing as pollen is removed but the amino acids content may be compromised due to this process. Anyone know any brands/types etc that this dosing may work with?

Calcium for healthy bones and...wait, wrong species :lol:
No idea but what it was for and I think some of the explanation for dosing milk was lost in translation as that oke was chinese.

Last edited:
milk, most likely amino acids....

I rather have that milk in my morning coffee.

What about aguave nectar lower on the gi index

I suppose nectar would also fall into this type of dosing although I don't think fish & coral are really watching their weight so will not be too bothered by the GI Index :lol:

geared more towards ulns and sps systems where regulated introduction of nutrients would have an effect on sps.

Dosing milk (raw milk as referred to by the original user) will lead to algae issues in a tank which is not running at ultra low nutrient levels. the honey is a carbon source which lowers nitrates and phosphates. The person who started dosing this claimed his corals were also healthier. The milk was used as a form of amino acid although it might have slight carbon dosing influences from the lactic acid.

However, due to the lack of proper information regarding the method and no further updates from the user, I decided to give this method a miss

Back
Top Bottom