Homemade Frozen Food Cube Recipes

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by belindamotion, 21 Aug 2013.

1. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

I know that a lot of Members have their own "mixtures" that they either swear by or just believe to be more nutritional...would you mind sharing...?:blush: Does you'r "mixture" apply to "fish in general" or do you have a specific "mixture" for "finicky" eaters...:blush:

I've seen one or two mentions about the frozen seafood mix...apparently you have to rinse with RO water as the "packaging" mentions something about 20% "glazing? I also read that the majority uses a "binding agent"..Sodium Alginate to be the 1st choice and then Gelatin...do we need it...?

And lastly...I saw on one of the other Threads that crayfish is high cholestrol which will result in swollen liver if fed to fish too regularly...so if that is true..should we not even use crayfish in our mixtures, to be on the safe side...?:blush:

Please share Recipes ..:blush:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

i once made some frozen food using Frozen Seafood Mix from SPAR.... rinse it and all first but my fish dont really like it and i find that it pollutes the water too much when feeding... my hermit and cleaner shrimp love the stuff :)... but then they love anything i give them

4. belindamotion

belindamotion Thread Starter Google Master

I wonder if that's why they use a binding agent..? Maybe you have to bind it to prevent it from "polluting the water"..?

5. JamesHunter

JamesHunter

@HOT SAUCE the reason is in the seafood mix there is crabsticks that are crab flavored bamboo and lots of the items are par-boiled

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  6. JamesHunter

JamesHunter

I make my own but use only fresh product like line fish i catch fish roe for them add nori, crab, prawn,mussel ect either fresh or bought (uncooked) i also add cooked peas/beans in small quantities. bind it with zoo plankton water mixture and garlic, bobs your uncle and my fish love it.

7. belindamotion

Would you then suggest "fresh" only and not "frozen" packages...? Or does it differ with regards to whom ever Produced the Product....?:blush:

8. JamesHunter

JamesHunter

Fresh is the key you are close to the sea easy for you to get some product

9. belindamotion

sugar beans...?

10. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

i removed all the crabsticks.. i was advised the they contain colorants and stuff like that that are not good. but when blending the mix alot of it turns into soup which the fish dont eat. and i was told that its not much good for corals either because its too big or its just stuff that corals dont normaly feed on

11. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

i agree with James that using fresh see food is way better

12. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

Prawn, mussel, squid, fish roe, nori, garlic. If I'm feeling adventurous I'll add redbait and urchins. Very nutritious but they make the whole process rather messy and smelly.

Don't use crab sticks and that kind of junk.

13. Braco

Braco

My personal mixture contains:fish roe, 2tsp finely crushed garlic,2 tsp reef pearls (5 micron),10ml nano coral feed, finely crushed flake food, fish food pellets,brocolli(par boiled-only the heads), fish meat(hake-finely processed)4 cubes of bloodworms, 6 cubes of super mysis shrimps,..all this makes the fish and corals go ballistic...at feeding time...i freeze it..in an old bloodworm plastic thingy...and once a week break a block and dillute it in RO water..and in a tot glass with the help of a turkey baster...squirt / spray over surface of water not having pumps on for duration of feed..

14. JamesHunter

JamesHunter

Dont blend it all chop it fine

Green beans normal type

Yeah just hard to get inland but will get some on my next seat trip aswell

15. Hammerhead

Hammerhead

blending makes it too smooth and sticky I found, so totally agree. Do u chop physically or blend but not too fine?

How do you process the squid, I tried i think nowegian squid and it smoked the blender, could have been too rubbery. Chopping finely might be easier or even freezing solid and grating.

Mussel on half shell is usually blanched as well, 1st prize will be to collect fresh, just make sure you have bait license, if i remember correcltly u can collect 50 mussels, 5kg rock bait (maybe mistaken on quantity) , Octopus etc.

Another option if u want to just try a a small quantity, is to use bait, U can get prawn, prawn tails, baby squid from a bait shop and make a small quantity and check if ur fish like it.

GAME has the smaller ice cube trays, 24 cubes in a std sized ice tray or zip lock bags.

I love urchin skeletons, now I know i wont be killing them for nothing (havent killed one if u thinking that), only to find a way to remove without braking skeletons.

Last edited: 22 Aug 2013
  16. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

I've tried chopping it before but maybe my knives are not sharp enough. I find it almost impossible to cut up all the slimy stuff like squid etc. do I do it while frozen?

17. 001Taz

001Taz

i recon your knives are blunt. a sharp enough blade would glide through that no prob.

18. JamesHunter

JamesHunter

I chop , chop chop and its done

19. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

Good quality sharp knife will handle squid quite easily, especially frozen squid. Chop as fine as you can, and be sure to run the blade right through all the stringy bits or it'll just clump up.

I only use fresh mussels (and oysters) that I've collected myself.

Redbait is a real pain for various reasons. You've gotta use a sharp knife and make a slice between the siphons so that you can reach in pull out the goo inside. It also spoils very quickly, so put it straight onto ice if you can. Even when fresh it smells pretty manky. I'm pretty sure it's ideal large angel food though, since most of their natural diets include a large amount of sea squirts.

You're gonna need to hack up the urchin to get out the majority of flesh. I use a cleaver and cut them into quarters and then scoop out the goo with a teaspoon. Also smells quite manky...not sure why anyone would want to eat these...

20. Kevin34PE

Kevin34PE

Some interestiing recipes,I just used the normal seafood mix excluding the crab sticks and then added some fresh food and blended it and froze in ice cube trays.
    Now I'm curious to know every when does the fish and corals get fed with a defrosted fish food cube? Everyday? 2nd day? 3rd day?

21. Braco

Braco

I hate chopping...i blend to a paste literally..and mix all together..

Recent Posts